Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
mycoplasma pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

mycoplasma pneumonia

I have had a chronic sweating problem for over 2 years. It will go from a flushed feeling to water dripping from the top of my head down my body. I have a chronic bronchitis condition as well as asthma. I have a low grade fever that ranges between 99. F to 100.2 F. My “normal” temperature ranges from 97. to 98. This fever has also been with me for a long time. I also have a persistent cough ranging from phlegmy to dry. Last year, 2006 in January, my doctor said I had mycoplasma pneumonia and prescribed Biaxcin for a month. The flushing and sweats continued. In September 2007, after blood testing, he said I had mycoplasma pneumonia and this time prescribed Doxycycline Hyclat for a month, 2 x's a day. I am in the 3rd week of taking antibiotics. While the cough has lessened, I still have the low grade fever. Activity does aggravate the sweating and flushing. I also feel fatigue and mental listlessness. I have been on Prozac for 20 years, now at 40mg per day. Am I shadow-boxing or am I ill? I truly do not know if I am mentally causing these terribly distracting (though not life-threatening) symptoms. Can you give me any help and/or advice?
Excessive sweating is a normal state for some people.  It can also be seen with diseases such as diabetes, but in that case, should not be accompanied by a fever.  There are a couple diseases that are characterized by flushing and sweats:  a benign tumor called pheochromocytoma and another that causes the carcinoid syndrome.  Hodgkins disease, a tumor of the lymph nodes can also cause sweating.  Sweating that occurs primarily at night is characteristic of tuberculosis.

It is also possible that your pneumonia was allergic, rather than infectious.  Some allergic pneumonias can be accompanied by sweating and fevers.  A number of what are called collagen-vascular diseases can also present with a variety of symptoms and pneumonia.

You are not shadow-boxing, if you are truly sweating, flushing and febrile.  You need a comprehensive evaluation of your problem.
Thank you very much. I forgot to mention that I am female and 76 years old, not that that alters anything. You have given me confidence to find an answer. One other thing: it isn't menopausal as at least 2 doctors (here in NYC) suggested. Last year I was put on an estrogen/provera regimen for 8 mos. The sweats, flushing and low grade fever continued. May I ask you: should I be looking toward the Mayo Clinic for answers or do you know if there is a “place”
in New York City where I can get an evaluation? So far, with 3 different doctors, I have struck out.