Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
nasal pseudomonas

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

nasal pseudomonas

I have had this nasal infection on and of for approximately 2 yrs.  Been treated with Ciprofloxacin.. A few months back lab test was negative.  I believe it is back.  

For many yrs. I have been prone to nasal infections, polyps.  Four surgeries.  And ingested various and a lot of antibiotics.  In the past 3 1/2 yrs. I have been plagued with intestinal problems.  Did the tests, colonoscopy etc. all normal.  

Is it possible that all of the antibiotics have affected my stomach?  I am 83 yrs of age.  And is there another way to treat this persistent nasal infection?
Tags: nasal pseudomonas
  • Pseudomonas (2 replies):
    It was stated on this forum that pseudomonas is contagio...[more]
The best advice I can give is that you and your doctor consult with a specialist in Infectious Disease.  

In some instances, recurrent nasal infection with pseudomonas has been associated with abnormalities of the immune system; that is, immunodeficiency states that can be acquired at any time in one’s life.  The following is a report that you might want to share with your doctors that touches on this possibility and treatment considerations.

It is possible that the chronic or recurrent use of antibiotics can cause intestinal problems.  The doctor who performed the colonoscopy would be best qualified to diagnose and treat such conditions.

Good luck,

Authors Full NameRyan, Matthew W. Brooks, Edward G.

InstitutionDepartment of Otolaryngology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390-9035, USA. matthew.***@****

TitleRhinosinusitis and comorbidities. [Review] [35 refs]

SourceCurrent Allergy & Asthma Reports. 10(3):188-93, 2010 May.

AbstractA variety of systemic conditions impact the incidence, severity, prognosis, and treatment approach in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS). The controversy surrounding the impact of allergic rhinitis on CRS continues, but it is reasonable to consider and treat allergic sources of inflammation in any patient with CRS. CRS is more severe in patients with aspirin sensitivity but improves--at least temporarily--to the same degree as in non-aspirin-sensitive patients, given appropriate therapy. Polypoid rhinosinusitis in cystic fibrosis patients is characterized by compromised mucociliary clearance and infection with staphylococcal and pseudomonal organisms. Affected individuals require frequent antibiotic treatment, saline lavage, and repeated surgeries. Rhinosinusitis is among the most common infectious complications of humoral immunodeficiency, which is not uncommon in patients with refractory CRS. The treatment approach in immunodeficiency includes aggressive antibiotic treatment and intravenous immunoglobulin. Specific diagnosis of comorbid systemic conditions with CRS will facilitate appropriate management. [References: 35]