Respiratory Disorders Community
new treatments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

new treatments

Are there any new treatments for respiratory pseudomonas aeroginosa?    I was diagnosed with this condition several years ago and underwent a month of twice a day IV antibiotics.   The oral antibiotics such as Cipro did not work.  I have no symptoms such as fever, weight loss, etc. and   just have a cough that is productive and that is only when I get up after a nights sleep or after a nap.  I am being followed by an ID physician but I would rather take any natural treatments such as garlic or Manuka honey to control this.    I was told that I can never get rid of pseudomonas and the physician said that "if you were younger, I would suggest you have a lobe of the lung removed" .  this sounds very radical to me.   I am very active and exercise at least 2 hours daily.  Thanks you for your help.    
I read your posting and felt compelled to respond. Doctors have different opinions on pseudomonas because they do not quite fully understand this infection yet. My doctor took a culture of my nasal passages and it came back positive for pseudomonas and there were 4 types of antibiotics that this strain was sensitive to. The problem is getting the antibiotics into your sinuses and using oral pills are not very efficient and you are supposed to use 2 different types of antibiotics if sensitive to 2 types at the same time. Using the IV method is supposed to be best. For your doctor to tell you that the pseudomonas simply cannot be eradicated , I think is wrong. Many doctors believe that the pseudomonas infection is actually a result of an autoimmune disorder and that this bacteria is so prevalent that healthy people are exposed to it all the time but do not get an infection because their immune system is working properly. In other words, the key to getting rid of your infection may begin with doing things to restore your immune system if it in fact is compromised. I would even look at natural remedies along with a vigilant sinus rinse therapy. Also, if your shower has mold in it or the mold in the shower head you may be exposed to something on a recurrent basis that is causing your sinus environment to be conducive to recurrent pseudomonas infection i.e. you are getting rid of it but you are constantly re-exposing yourself to this bacteria. Your doctor gave you the easy answer that works for doctors 98% of the time and they will be correct however, you may be in the 2% that the easy answer doesnt apply to. I have been keeping my infection at bay with Mucinex D every day however I just got a sinus infection yesterday but its the first one in over a year. I just hope the mucinex isnt killing me that is the long term use. I would focus on building your immune system up along with IV antibiotics after a culture is done to see what your infection is sensitive to that is which antibiotics would work. If 2 types use both courses at the same time through the IV. Also, check for sources of the pseudomonas and avoid hot tubs , swimming in farm ponds etc. and check your shower plumbing for mold or other environmental conditions that can be affecting your sinus cavities. Rob M.