Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
noncalcified lung nodule

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

noncalcified lung nodule

I'M a 37 yr old woman, mother of a 2 yr old girl,non-smoker. from last May I had abdominal pain in my upper righ side , i did ultrasound twice which were normal ,endoscopy which was normal too .and i'm going to have colonoscopy in Jan.My GP reffered me for abdominal ct .every thing in my abdomen is normal but they say there is non calcified periphral nodule ,measuring 5mm seen in the left lower lobe.and they continued; incidentally noted left lower lobe pulmonary nodule almost certainly reflects changes of granulomatous infection .A 37 yr old patient do not require follow up assuming that the patient has no known primary malignancies.
My GP says that we will wait for a year and then will do an x-ray to see wheather it's changed or not .i'm so worry about it . does abdominal ct show all parts of lungs? is it possible that there are more nodules?? what noncalcified nodule means? is it cancer? i'm realy worry .please help me .
Sorry to hear about your lingering abdominal problem but it sounds as if your GP is doing a good, thorough job of following up on this.

A 5mm nodule is by the accepted medical criteria, a very small nodule and, in a 37 year old woman, non-smoker, the odds are very high that this small nodule is a benign lesion, despite being not calcified.

I have two suggestions.  The first is that you seek to locate any and all previous Chest X-rays you might have had, so that those X-rays can be compared with the CT Scan.  Should the nodule have been present on any of those previous X-rays and now unchanged in size or appearance, that would be a strong confirmation that you have nothing to worry about.  My second suggestion is that you and your doctor consider getting repeat X-rays at 3 months and 6 months in addition to another at one year.

The abdominal CT usually does not cover the entirety of one’s lungs but you should ask your doctor about this.  Were there other tiny nodules, depending on their appearance, that would probably not alter the high likelihood that they are benign as well.

Should your doctor prefer to not get more frequent follow-up X-rays, you might want to consider requesting a second opinion.

Good luck