Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
occasional sharp pain in lungs or around ribcage.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
occasional sharp pain in lungs or around ribcage.
hi, I am 19, about 15 pounds overweight and a frequent snowboarder.  

Every month or two, out of nowhere, I feel a sharp pain everytime I breath in.  It lasts for about a minute and a half and I would like to know what this might be or be caused by.  

The last couple of times I've had it, I was up in the mountains, but not after a particularly strenuous day.

Thank you so much for any answers you can give me.

-Rhett
Discussion is closed
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
251132_tn?1198082422
The most likely cause of this pain is when a nerve gets trapped for a short time in the muscles around your ribs. It can be a sharp pain and goes away quickly. It can happen with deep breaths or without. It is not usually a problem. If this persists or gets worse in intensity, you may need to see a physician for an evaluation of the pain.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
that my friend is a heart flutter.go to your doc for more info.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
I don't think that is necessarily related to your heart.  I've had those occassional sharp pains and it does sound like a nerve.  Sometimes moving positions makes it better.  Like something isn't lined up perfect, or getting pinched.

I personally have an irregular heartbeat and it is not sharp pains.  It is a heaviness, sometimes a fluttering, but not sharp pains.  And it is always in one spot, right atop my heart.  Not around the ribcage.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
A
A
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Allergy Tracker