Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
occasional sharp pain in lungs or around ribcage.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

hi, I am 19, about 15 pounds overweight and a frequent snowboarder.  

Every month or two, out of nowhere, I feel a sharp pain everytime I breath in.  It lasts for about a minute and a half and I would like to know what this might be or be caused by.  

The last couple of times I've had it, I was up in the mountains, but not after a particularly strenuous day.

Thank you so much for any answers you can give me.

-Rhett
The most likely cause of this pain is when a nerve gets trapped for a short time in the muscles around your ribs. It can be a sharp pain and goes away quickly. It can happen with deep breaths or without. It is not usually a problem. If this persists or gets worse in intensity, you may need to see a physician for an evaluation of the pain.
that my friend is a heart flutter.go to your doc for more info.
I don't think that is necessarily related to your heart.  I've had those occassional sharp pains and it does sound like a nerve.  Sometimes moving positions makes it better.  Like something isn't lined up perfect, or getting pinched.

I personally have an irregular heartbeat and it is not sharp pains.  It is a heaviness, sometimes a fluttering, but not sharp pains.  And it is always in one spot, right atop my heart.  Not around the ribcage.