Respiratory Disorders Community
oxygen saturation levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

oxygen saturation levels

My mother passed away at the age of 85.  When she felt ill, we took her to the ER.  She was never assigned a hospital room and spent several miserable hours in the ER. The doctor diagnosed pneumonia, but said it might also be congestive heart failure.  Her oxygen saturation levels hovered around 85 percent, and dropped quickly when the oxygen mask, which she resisted, was removed.  She died very quickly when the mask was taken off.  How long could she have lived if she had worn the oxygen mask? Sometimes I wish I had threatened to sue the doctor and the hospital for not having admitted her to a room.  
I have nothing much to offer except that I am very sorry for your loss...I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers...Sunny
Even if they had admitted her they couldn't force her to wear the mask.  You cannot force a person to  be treated and we all have the right to refuse treatment.  Not to mention that this may have been your mothers way of saying that she was ready to go.  Also, when I need to wear a mask for different things it feels like I'm being suffocated instead of helped.  This may be the case with your mother as well.  I would say that nobody can say how long she could have lived.  I believe that everything happens for a reason.  I think that maybe your mother has lived a long life and maybe she was ready I cannot imagine your pain and I"m so sorry for your loss.  Sorry if I haven't been much help.
I am sorry about the loss of your beloved mom.
My dad has CHF and they say if he is above 85 on room air then he is **** just fine (I really have a hard time believing that but he has been doing fine for the past 6 years) I know when my now 4/5 year old was first born up to the age of 3 months, they did not wat his SATS to be above 95 anything from 90-95 were fine. no they have to be above 95 in order for him to be "normal" but sometimes for no reason they do drop into the 80's for a bit
It depends on her heart condtion as to how low they should go
Again I am truely sorry for oyur loss
michelle