Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
pacemaker and bilateral pneumothorax

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

pacemaker and bilateral pneumothorax
LRK
Three months ago I had a pacemaker implanted and during the procedure both of my lungs were nicked that resulted in both of my lungs collapsing about 10 hours after the surgery.  I had 2 chest tubes inserted and then was realesed from the hospital a week later.  I have had major pain the one side where the tube was and also under my right breast with a burning sensation.  I have a very hard time breathing and catching my breath.  I also have alot of pain in my chest and it's worse when I lay my head back or lay flat.  I also have a hard time breathing when I exsert myself.  I went to a pulmonologist with indicated I have only 60% of my airalso I have weak breath sounds.  He did a ct and it showed no collapsed lung so he is sending me to a nueromuscular disease dr.  This is so frustrating since I have NEVER been short of breath in my life it all started when my lungs were punctured but he says it must not be from that...I beg to differ.  I would like to know if you have eve heard of anything like this, I am going crazy not to mention exausted from trying to breathe.
Chest discomfort around the site of the chest tubes can certainly occur and be persistent.  It is unusual to have other long-term pain or long-term shortness of breath from a pneumothorax only.  A chest CT scan might be helpful to get a better look at the lining layer around the lung and see if it is scarred or inflamed and to look at the inside of your lungs as well.

I am not sure I understand which breathing test is low, so it is difficult to comment definitively.  However, if your breathing muscles are weak, then certain breathing tests can be below normal.  If the lining layer inside your chest was severely scarred, that could also account for a low breathing test.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker