Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
pain under the right hand rib

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

pain under the right hand rib

I suffered for 3 weeks of consistant non stop cough.  I was told that it is virus infection and was given Amocilin antibiotic course and cough medicine.  The cough has now subsided but occasional coughs.  I then had stomach pain and nausea.  To make it worse, I have pain in my right hand side rib, just under my breast.  When I cough or lay down or move my right hand side, my rib hurts.  My stomach pain and nausea has reduced but the pain in the rib is still there when cough to clear throat or moving.
Can you please advise.
Thank you
Sounds like you had a terrible cough.  I wonder if you had pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough.  Harsh coughing frequently results in chest or rib pain, usually due to muscle or ligament strain or tear, but sometimes from a fractured rib.  Any of these might take as long as 1 to 4 weeks to resolve.  Either the amoxicillin or the cough medicine could be responsible for nausea and stomach pain.  By this time you should have finished the antibiotic and should use the cough syrup only when necessary, for example to enable you to sleep.

You are on the road to recovery, but if you still have stomach pain or nausea you may want to try an over the counter antacid preparation and, if that doesn’t give fairly immediate relief, give your doctor a call.

Good luck.