Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
pain with inspiration/exhalation/coughing and sneezing on right side

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

i have had pain in the right side of chest,just under breast area around to mid back when ever i cough,sneeze or breathe in and out.  i have had an xray and this was normal yet still the pain persists.  I have not had any incident of straining or moving anything that would indicate a pulled muscle, I do plan on returning to the doctor but i am wondering what the next step would be in testing and if any suggestions of what could be causing this pain.  I have not been ill, no cold or cough symptoms no fever, essentially i am an otherwise healthy female of 36 years.
Usually a chest x-ray is done when trying to find the cause of chest pain.  Since your chest x-ray was normal, what you have described sounds like a muscular problem.  You noted that you have not had any incident of straining or moving anything that would indicate a pulled muscle.  However you might try minimizing activity that would exercise your chest muscles.  If the problem is muscular, your pain should go away in 1 to 2 weeks.
I guess that I forgot to mention that I have had this pain for 4 weeks prior to going to the doctor. And that it now has been at least 3 more weeks.
In researching this I did find something that would be similar to what I am having symptom wise~costochondritis  

Any thoughts
I have the exact problem that you do.......I was looking this up and came across your question.  You describe what I am feeling, the only difference is that I have had broncitis and a horrible cough that I blame for this pulled muscle in my chest.  The only thing that I have found to work is Advil.  I have been to the doctor twice and had chest x-rays as well.  Nothing.  They even prescribed me vicodine and it did nothing.  I guess time will take care of this, just use advil.  Hope you feel better!