Respiratory Disorders Community
paralyzed diaphragm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

paralyzed diaphragm

I had a thoracotomy to remove thyroid cancer that had spread to the chest area. The surgery only took 45 minutes to prep me, go in with a video thorascope, when that failed to retract the node a full thoracotomy was done. The node was behind the subclavian a few inches below the collar bone. Now the surgeon says the accidentally burned the phrenic nerve and my right lung is paralyzed. It has been 3 months since the surgery and still no change. The surgeon does not want to see me again nor does he want a follow up xray. He said that my being winded and tired is because I only have one functioning lung.
Am I being unreasonable in thinking that perhaps this was a rush job.His secretary did not tell him that they bumped me ahead a few hours and he was paged and an hour late. And also I don't understand why he does not want a follow-up xray.He is so laid back about it but what about my quality of life. I hope the nerve will regenerate. Maybe I am expecting too much?
Can anybody put their 2 cents in????
I also have a collasped diaphrame after surgery. the pharnic nerve was damaged and i have  a collasped right side diaphrame. i have been told that 18 to 24 months if it regenerates. i am on oxygen at night, while sitting at the computer, watching tv and driving.  i have trained myself to breath deeply while working, walking and keeping my oxygen levels at 90% to 93%. I am taking all kinds of breathing treatments, albuterol, ad-vair, and sprivia. before the meds i was on oxygen at all times. I had several doctors miss the problem, untill I got persistant about having a problem. I hav ebeen to several pulmonary doctors and none of them have seen this problem before. I hope this information is helpful to others.  Larry H