persistent cough.
hi i'm 21 years old. i just want to ask what are the possible causes of my cough?. My cough started last november until now., but it's not the cough where in i cough vigorously or too much, it's as if i'm trying to get something out of my throat. it just makes me paranoid that it lasted this long. i don't have other symptoms, only this cough. I became paranoid because i thought i was at risk for kaposi's sarcoma because i noticed some changes in my skin, but somebody from the other forum said no, because it is only associated with hiv/aids, in which i took 2 tests because i had a risky exposure in the past which both came out negative ( i took the test 5 months post exposure, in which the recommendation in taking the test would be 3 months, i had mine at 5 and it came out negative) please help.. thank you
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If after 5 months post exposure you tested negative for HIV, its unlikely you have the disease. The other causes for long term cough besides asthma are GERD and post nasal drip from allergies. GERD is gastro esophageal reflux disease where the stomach acids come back into the esophagus and spill into the windpipe causing cough. Treatment with antacids will help neutralize the acids. Post nasal drips can occur with sinusitis and throat infections. Giving up cigarettes will abolish smoker's cough in 90% of people. Talk to your GP about the other causes for cough in the meantime you could try warm salt water gargles and breathing exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi I took my test last wednesday, which makes it the 10th month.. in which it came out negative... does that rule out what i fear?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

To confirm the presence of HIV infection, the most specific test would be testing for its antibodies with an ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. The antibodies are usually produced within 1-3 months of the infection. So, if you tested negative after 3 months in any month, say 4th, 5th, 6th...10th, you do not have the infection. To conclude if you are not manifesting any symptoms of HIV like repeated infections and if your HIV test was negative, it's unlikely that you may be harboring the infection. So, please stop worrying.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.