Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
persistent painful breathing for 6mths

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

persistent painful breathing for 6mths

I am looking for information or any advice on my problem. For the past 6 mths I have had pain (upper right back) when I breath (mostly deep breathing). I have been to the doctor and he said it was pleurisy. Was given indocin. That has done nothing to help me. Went to a specialist, he had me stay on indocin. That did nothing. I stopped that medicine about 2 mths ago. A lot of the time, the pain is just a sharp pain that radiates to my shoulder. It is worse when I lay down and if I lay on my right side.  It really hurts then.  I take advil sometimes. The pain still comes back. The only thing that helps is when that area is massaged or when I take a hot shower. I have had 2 chest x-rays-normal, and a chest CT 2 mths ago and that was normal. I am at my wits end. I don't know what to do and my doctor(specialist) isn't sure either. I am going to switch doctors. The doctor said it sounds like pleurisy but pleurisy does not last this long.
         Can this be cancer that just isn't showing up? What other tests can be done (if any?) to help identify the problem? I am 33 yr old female, non-smoker. I have gained 20 lbs over the last 6 mths. What can cause the type of conditions can cause the type of symptoms I am having? Thank you so much for your time.
                                   Miche
Pleurisy is inflammation or irritation of the pleura, the sac that holds the lungs.  This can cause chest tightness and pain, which is felt more with deep breathing and coughing.  This can be caused by anything that reaches the covering of the lungs that should not be there, such as bacteria or viruses.  Antibiotics will help a bacterial infection, but will not help a viral infection.  Over time your body's natural defenses will clear a viral infection.  Eventually pleurisy will resolve but it may take weeks.  However it is unusual to last 6 months.  During this time it is important to treat the pain so that you are able to breath as normal as possible so that other problems do not start.  As you have already discovered 2 things that may help with the pain are:
1) an anti-inflammatory pill, like Advil