Respiratory Disorders Community
pet scan lymph node hotspot of lung

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

pet scan lymph node hotspot of lung

in June/2012 a small tumor was removed from left lower lobe by a wedge resection. It was diagnosed as a non small cell adenacarcinoma.  They felt it was completely removed.  A follow up PET scan in August was clear. A Pet scan in December showed a hot spot on 1 lymph node.  I just had an EBUS procedure which showed no cancer cells in that node and other samples taken from other nodes, lining of lung, and 1 broncial tube.  The only thing that showed up was a staph infection causing bronchitis.  That is being treated with antibiotics.  What could be the reasons for the hot spot?  The doctors are trying to decide what to do with me next.  If the 1 node had been malignant,  they were going to start chemo and radiation.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hot spots on PET scan are known to occur as the tumor spreads to the lymph. This is one way of monitoring. But there could be many false positives and they are also known to occur with infections or inflammations and sometimes exercise can cause these hot spots. As, further workup did not show any cancer cells, its unlikely to be due to tumor spread.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your response-it did ease my mind some.  My doctors are trying to be as thorough as possible.  This past week I had a CT scan with contrast which showed no change in the size of the node.  Since it still seems to be inflamed, I will have a repeat EBUS test this week. Depending on the results, they may agree that it is due to the staph infection, and just monitor me.  Will keep you posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Ensure to see you complete your antibiotic course and follow up with your doctor. For further relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt water gargles and steam inhalations. Please ensure to do this prior to your meals. Also, get a good balanced diet to boost up your immune system and to help tackle the infection. Take care.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.