Respiratory Disorders Community
phantom odors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

phantom odors

For the past couple years off and on I have been smelling the odor of car exhaust. no matter where I am I smell it. The odor is so bad I can taste and smell it and it makes my nose burn..My eyes water like I have a pipe in my face. It can last from 2 days to a month. It makes eating and sleeping difficult. Medically I am pretty healthy. I have had some cancer surgeries done. Nothing over extreme. Mostly basal cell and Melanoma. Can this be a nerve problem in the brain? I talked to my physician and he said he never heard of it. I need help since this is beginning to cause me migraines as well. This time I have had a migraine the whole time and it is getting worse. Please help me solve this..
You might try seeing an allergist for this.  Sometimes the treat parosmia and phantosmia.  In your case that would be a form of phantosmia.  

You should research both of the these conditions as treatments are similar.  There are many causes including severe cold or a sinus infection as much as 3 months prior to the onset of symptoms and tumors.  Generally it is thought to be associated with some form of nerve damage to the olfactory nerve.  

It can be hard to find a doctor who has heard of these conditions, so do your research, join a group on  it if you find one (there are several), and print any articles you find interesting or pertinent to your case for your doctor to read up on the conditions.  

Good luck and I hope you find answers.