Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
phlegm blockage

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

phlegm blockage

Lately I have been feeling like I am choking everytime I try to eat anything.  My nose is clear, although there is a build up of mucus in the back of my throat that will not go away.  Everytime I try to eat or swallow I feel like I am choking because I am unable to breathe from the mucus.  I am scared and do not know how to get rid of it any help?????
Postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  This drainage could be from a number of reasons.  One is an allergic reaction to inhaling something.  A second reason is a nonallergic, noninfectious inflammation.  A third reason is chronic sinusitis.  This can cause a build up of mucus in the back of your throat.  This could explain your feeling of choking whenever you eat or swallow.  This could also be the reason you are unable to breathe from the mucus.  A nasal wash helps remove mucus from the nose and sinuses.  This can temporarily reduce the postnasal drip and lessen your choking.  A prescription nasal steroid spray decreases nasal swelling and mucus production.  This may prevent the postnasal drip and choking.  To get the most out of a nasal steroid spray use it after doing a nasal wash.  A nasal steroid spray does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may require several weeks of routine use to become effective.  Please read our Nasal Wash MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/nasal.html for more information about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.
Hey, I have the same thing, and millions others I believe.
I think we just have to learn to live with it. The cause of all this phlegm can be allergy or infection or no cause know at all.
I dont think current medicine has an answer. Ive seen every allergy specialist in the book.

They have nasal washes and steriods. None have been helpful for me. Even an acupuncturist and chinese herbal medicine have no answers for the mystery of Rhinitis (swollen dripping sinuses and we dont know why).