Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
pneumonia- recovery time? antibiotic side-effects?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I was diagnosed with pneumonia Feb. 7th. (later to be diagnosed as mycoplasma pneumonia) I was put on a series of antibiotics (in total 5 courses in 1 month). My symptoms (coughing/ breatning problems) cleared up after about 1 week but I was extremely tired. Then 1 week after I finished the last antibiotic course I developed unbearable stomach pains and it was believed that all the antibiotics killed my digestive bacteria. I got some probiotic drinks from the health shop to replace the bacteria and after a couple of days the pain subsided but I was left feeling really tired, lightheaded (like I am going to black out- even sitting down), weak and nauseus. My blood pressure had dropped (110/80 to 90/60) and I have other symptoms of being dehydrated although I am not. Has anybody had these symptoms after having pneumonia?? Or to any courses of antibiotics?? If so, how did you cope?? I have been virtually housebound for 3 months and I am otherwise a healthy 28 y.o. female.
Feeling tired and weak for weeks after pneumonia is not an uncommon finding. Add to this the problem with your stomach and the weakness can be even worse. I do not think the change in blood pressure is a major problem and would suggest lots of rest and good nutrition to get you past these problems. If the weakness persists, it is probably a good idea to see your physician to make sure the infection is completely gone.
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT INFORMATION ON ANYONE WHO HAS OR HAD MYCOPLASMA. I WAS TOLD I HAD THIS FOR ALEAST THE LAST 4 MONTHS. I ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 13 DAYS AND ONLY REMEBER ABOUT 5 OF THESE DAYS. I AM STILL ON MEDICINE THE A PICC LINE IN MY ARM WHICH IS ABOUT THE 5TH ONE I HAVE HAD TO HAVE. I ALSO FEEL VERY, VERY, TIRED. I NOTICE THIS WAS SENT A LITTLE WHILE AGO SO I WAS WONDERING IF YOU ARE DOING BETTER??? MAYBE THERE WILL BE ALITTLE BIT OF SUNSHINE IF YOU SEEM TO BE GETTING BETTER BECAUSE RIGHT NOW THERE FEELS LIKE ITS NOT EVER GOING TO END. I HAVE 4 CHILDREN AND CAN NOT TAKE THEM TO THEIR GAMES OR ANYTHING BECAUSE AM AFRAID OF PASSING OUT OR SOMETHING HAPPENING. I HAVEN'T DRIVEN A CAR IN 4 MONTHS BECAUSE OF THIS REASON. I THINK THAT THE ANTIBIOTICS MAKES ME FEEL BAD. BUT IF I DON'T TAKE THEM THAN I CAN'T GET BETTER EITHER. AM DARNED IF I DO AND DARNED IF I DON'T. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HEAR HOW YOU ARE DOING????
THANKS FOR LISTENING..
A related discussion, pnewmonia and fatique was started.
Hey guys juSt got out of hospital few days ago was in hospital for 7 days with it it almost killed me I had respiratory failure but they were able to revive me omg it was the worst pain ive ever gone through  But once I was releaSed j hVe been weak I've missed work 2wice because I couldnt get out of bed and when I get up to walk it's like my whole body is in pain starting from my feet all the way up to my head it's so strange. Has anybody had this body cramping/paiN? Like I said when u stand up especially In ur feet standing up outta bed? ThAnks for ur help .               Jenn