Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
possible food aspiration

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

possible food aspiration

I just read about someone who aspirated a cheerio and I am having the same kind of problem. I think I aspirated a piece of white rice night before last. I coughed a lot trying to make sure it didnt go to my lungs but since then I have a continuing feeling that I have to cough. I can sleep without coughingbut am worried that the rice is still in my branchael area or lungs.Does rice also get absorbed and what should I do to make that feeling go away?My internist just said to take a over the counter cough expectorant and another doctor said that wouldnt help and to take an antacid. What should I do?
If you aspirated a piece of rice, it may take a long time for it to be absorbed.  You might try to use gravity in your favor by coughing while in the head-down position.  Rice is pretty bland and unlikely to cause infection.  If you had aspirated something really irritating, such as a hot chili pepper, there would be more urgency to get it out.  The over-the-counter cough expectorant might ease your cough but won't clear the rice.  Neither will the antacid.

You should see your doctor and get a chest x-ray if you
I'm not sure but I think a regular chest xray would show any kind of a problem, or if your doctor listened to your lungs he could tell if there was a problem.  I think that you would have to aspirate a lot more than a piece of rice in order to cause an infection or something of that nature.