Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
possible lung injury from panic attack

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

possible lung injury from panic attack

About a week ago i had a bit of a panic attack from all the stress I am going through from work, school, and my relationship. For a couple days I was convinced I could not get enough air, and had a hard time breathing. I calmed down after the third day of struggling for air that I did not need, but since then my chest feels very sore around my lungs. The pain in discomfort isn't in just one place and kind of moves around. I play soccer and take runs, and I have been able to do this with no problems but my chest is still sore and it is uncomfortable to take deep breathes and kneel down. can such stress cause serious injury to the lungs?
It is good that you recognized the stress you experienced last week as a Panic Attack.  Should such attacks begin to occur with any regularity, you should speak with your doctor, for panic attacks are preventable with medication.  You used the phrase, “struggling for air” and that suggests the possibility of violent movements of the chest wall during the attack causing musculoskeletal strain of the chest wall.  The diagnosis of greatest concern with migratory chest pain is blood clots to the lung (pulmonary emboli or PE).  That however is usually accompanied by shortness of breath not usually experienced by a person who plays soccer or runs.

The most likely cause, then, especially if you can elicit the pain with deep breaths and/or kneeling down would be muscle or ligament strain of the chest wall.  If that proves to be the case, the pain should steadily improve with the passage of time, rather than worsen.  If this is not the case or if you develop additional symptoms such as cough, then you should definitely see or speak with your doctor.  Also musculoskeletal pain is most likely diminish with taking drugs such as ibuprofen.

Good luck