Respiratory Disorders Community
post hemothorax pains

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

post hemothorax pains

I have suffered 4 broken ribs 2 weeks ago, one of which pierced my lung causing a hemothorax. I was discharged from hospital 7 days ago. I am experiencing sharp pains under my collar bone and in my shoulder. The medics said this was pressure pain from air escaping from my lung into the chest cavity. Is this correct? and if so why am I still having this pain now that my lung is re inflated?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It might be referred pain to the shoulder. But if with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. Sometimes it can be costo-chondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. If the pain is aggravated with work or exercise then it could be due to cardiac pain. But when in doubt always best to have it checked. So please consult your primary care physician who may ask for an EKG or a treadmill test to rule out a cardiac cause for the pain

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.