Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
prednisone

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

prednisone

6 moths ago I had an emergency operation. I hadjust finished a COPD related heavy prednisone treatment. The on-call pulmonary doctor discounted my objection to his adding steroid to an iv. I developed severe high blood pressure, high heart rate and most disturbing visual hallucinations. I finally was able to get the iv removed and was fine.

However,after not having used predinsone since,I another of my twice yearly COPD problems. I started a new prednisone regime using the normal 4 x 3days, 3 x 3days, etc. After the first day I was feeling so "jazzed" up, I followed the next day with 2, then 2, then 2, then 1,then 1 and now off. The jazziness is slowing down.

My questions is, could I have developed a sensitivity to this medicine and if so, what should I do? I will ask my doctor,too, but we are new to eachother and so your answer is important to me.
The information you provided, suggests that you are quite sensitive to the side effects of steroids, including pill and injected forms.  It will be important for you and your doctor to work together to determine the lowest dose of steroid that will treat your COPD problems.  Then use it only as long as needed to clear the acute illness.  The steroid dose needed to adequately treat your COPD may still cause you to have some feeling of being
STEROIDS ARE BAD FOR PEOPLE IN MY OPION,DOCTORS FOR MNTHS GAVE MY 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER STEROIDS FOR WHAT THEY CALLED ASTHMA FOR MNTHS,TURNED OUT SHE HAD SINUS DISEASE,SEVERE ACID REFLUX WHICH MADE HER COUGH FOR MNTHS NOT ASTMA AND INFECTED ESOPHAGUS,THE STEROIDS MADE HER GAIN ALOT OF WEIGHT,MADE HER HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,MADE HER VERY VERY SICK.