Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
productive cough lung pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

productive cough lung pain

I have to constantly clear my throat as I have phlem being produced throughout the day but not when I sleep.
Sporadic pain below my right shoulder blade.
No results from a CT SCAN but could it be early stages of ASBESTOSIS as I may have had an exposure to it 5 months ago
Too little time has passed since the asbestos exposure for that to be the cause, unless it was a massive exposure.  If the CT scan is normal the most likely source of the phlegm is the upper airways, including the nose and sinuses.  Throat clearing can become a habit that is difficult to break.  There may be no serious disease with throat clearing.
I have the exact same thing....down to the fact that it goes away when I lay down. I have been on every allergy medicine and nose spray invented, purchased a cool air vaporizor, rub down with vicks at night, take 2 kinds of expectorant...I'm at my wits end. Its embarrassing not to mention having the feeling that I'm not able to breathe due to this mystery fluid that won't come up. Anybody have any ideas? Dr gave me a different inhaler today and did chest xrays....I'm desparate.
Are you on any Beta blockers (for high blood pressure) or taking anything for migraines, glaucoma? The medication can cause a chronic cough in some people. You can get a list of medication that causes cough for over-the-counter and prescription from your local pharmacist.

Chronic cough is also a sign of heart failure. The palpitations you are experiencing correlate with that theory. Heart failure also gives you shortness of breath, fatigue, dizziness.. difficulty walking without a cough, and so on.

Postnasal drip is another cause. PD is mucus that runs down your throat from the back of your nose. If you are told you have PD, avoid dust, molds, smoke, pollen, certain chemicals and anything you are allergic to.

Other causes for chronic cough include the asthma and heartburn. Taking some asthma medication might help.. if it still persists, consider the heartburn. Sounds crazy, but heartburn can do it too. Acid from your stomach may back up into your throat. This is called "acid reflux." It can cause heartburn or cough. Acid reflux is more common when you're lying down. If you have this problem, try raising the head of your bed about 3-4 inches.

It might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before going to bed or laying down. You should not drink alcoholic beverages or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods right before resting. An antacid (Tums is good) or an acid-blocking medicine (such as Pepcid or Zantax) may also be helpful.

Make sure the air ducts in your home are clean. Have someone come in to clean them and check for mold in your basement.

Get allergy tests done. There is a serum test now that can examine your blood against certain substances to determine if you have allergies you weren't aware of. The older method included "cuts" in the skin, with the substance added to individual scratches to provoke a reaction.

Also, you might want to look into a Strep (throat) test. Strep is notorious for staying dormant and re-surfacing.

I hope by the time you read this, your cough has been long gone. If your doctor has diagnosed you, please tell us your results so that it might help others too.

Best,

Anai Rhoads
thank you all for your comments , still no better. It feels that there is an area below my right shoulder blade in my lung that aches and then rapidly after the pain phlem is produced that I have to clear by coughing. Could there be any types of TB or infections that dont show on a CT scan. If one has inhaled a concentrated amount building rubble dust could this just be a long term reaction by the lungs trying to clear the dust from the lining
Plum,

It is quite possible to have particles in your lung(s) that take time to dissolve. Our lungs are created in a way that protect us from most pollutants. But there are times where something takes a bit longer.

TB would show in your x-ray. You can be tested for TB if you haven't already.

I hope something is found so that you can be relieved of this terribly annoying pain.

Please keep me posted on your progress and testing. If you need assistance with test result values, please post them so I can have a look and write back to you.

Best,

Anai Rhoads