Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
pulmicort vs singulair

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

pulmicort vs singulair

In 2003 I was dx with Asthma and put on pulmicort twice a day. In the past 2 yrs I have lowered myself to once a day, I have been tested for allergies and allergic to all grasses, weeds, mold, pet dander, & dust mites.  My doctor and I decided to switch to Singulair, along with the zyrtec & flonase I already take. My question is are there any withdrawal symtoms (symptoms) with stopping pulmicort?  I have albuteriol in case of emergency. I have only had to take albut.  when I get Bronchitis which has been in the spring & fall each year. I have taken singulair for 2 days now and have not had as much mucous in throat. I do smoke 1/2 pk a day.  
thanks! xrayshell
The only withdrawal symptom could be worsening of your asthma.  Smoking cigarettes poses serious risks for everyone, but especially for anyone who has a chronic respiratory disease, such as your asthma.  The respiratory risk is both immediate -- poor control of asthma and long-term -- the progressive loss of normal lung function.  Seriously consider smoking cessation.
You may want to look at our Quit Smoking Topic Center at http://www.nationaljewish.org/topic/smoking_cessation.html for ways to help you quit smoking.  Also check with your doctor for other quit smoking resources in your area.

I started taking Singulair a few months ago and got 2 respiratory infections - it also lowered my heart rate.  I guess it didn't go well with Metaprolol which the docs use to control my heart arrythmias. Anyway, I got off the Singulair and had no side effects getting off of it. If pulmicort is similar I wouldn't think there would be withdrawal but who knows - our bodies are all different.
I had already posted this once before - I'm not sure what hapened to the post, but anyway.  I took Singulair for a couple of months and just got off from it with no type of withdrawal symptoms so I would think that Pulmicort would be about the same.

The side effects from the Singulair were too much for me to handle.  I guess I'll keep searching for other alternatives.