pulmonary fibrosis
If a patient with pulmonary fibrosis has been taking 40 mg. of prednisone for 4 weeks and is suddenly taken off all prednisone what would be the end result?
Really a person who is on that dosage of steroid should taper them over a period of time. Coming off prednisone abruptly like that is a problem because the body is suppressed when it comes to producing its own steroid due to taking the prednisone especially for a prolonged period. The adrenals produce cortisol, a steroid that is naturally present and serves many functions. The adrenals don't produce cortisol if the body is getting steroid from an external source, such as prednisone so it is necessary to slowly reduce the prednisone dose so that the adrenals can kick in on their own to produce cortisol again and in sufficient amounts to prevent some serious side effects. One thing that can happen is adrenal crisis, which can result in severe weakness, extremely low blood pressure, nausea and vomiting, joint pain, coma or confusion just to name a few things. As you can see, suddenly stopping steroids after being on that dose for 4 weeks can be dangerous. I would talk to the doctor about this..from what I have been told and personally experienced, tapering steroids is the safest way to go in this situation to prevent the problems mentioned Remember, I am not a doctor so please take what I say with a grain of salt...consulting with a doc is always the best path to take as far as these matters are concerned. Sunny