Respiratory Disorders Community
pulmonary fibrosis.new test results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

pulmonary fibrosis.new test results

I was dx;d in April with pulmonary Fibrosis and decided in August to go for a second opinion. The numbers below are from tests I have had, this doctor wants me to go right away to Shands and try to get listed for a transplant. I could really use some advice. Are my numbers that bad?

August 2006
Spirometry..post bronchodilator FVC 50% of predicted. FEV1 pf 57% of predicted (1.80 and 1.52 respectively), ratio of 84%. Total lung capacity of 4.13 liters. 78% of predicted and residual volume of 123% at 2.44 liters. Diffusion rate 32% of predicted, adjusted for hemoglobin. Flow volume showed a restrictive contour. Moderate to severe restrictive defect with severe reduction in diffusion capacity.

April 2007
PFt showed FVC 1.72 liters 52% of predicted, FEV1 of 1.11 liters 42% OF predicted. TLC OF 3.12 LITERS,59% of predicted, RV of 1.40 or 70% of predicted. Diffusion capacity 33%. Flow volume showed a restrictive contour.

CT of chest shows extensive fibrosis, predominantly peripherally as well as the lower lobes with also some evidence of honeycombing in the lower lobes bilaterally, Right heart does not appear to be enlarged. There does not appear to be any lymphadenopathy.

I was put on O2 24/7 at 2 liters.......in April of 2007. I just got this report from a pulmonologist who we went to for a second opinion. He has referred me to Shands to discuss transplant and my file is in their office right now to see if I might be a candidate. I am looking fo any inpot to helo me understand wat all this means.
Thanks Kathy
I am not a doctor or a respiratory therapist, but your DLCO is very low.  It is a good thing that your right heart is not enlarged, but it could start and that might be a reason not to qualify for a transplant.  In other words, I would go for the eval, as that it all it is.  It doesn't mean that you will qualify or if they would even list you if you qualify.  It is better to go now than wait and then it might be too late.  I'm sure you have read all you can on pulmonary fibrosis and know how really serious it is.  I am surprised that you only need 2 liters of O2.  What sats do you run on that?  Shands is very experienced with lung transplants.  I wish I could be of more help; this is just my opinion.  Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks so much for your note. You are right, I am doing all of the research that I can............but find it confusing........I have not heard from Shands yet. I hope that I do soon.

Take care,

Kathy