Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
pulmonary hypotension ...any such thing?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I was just wondering if there is any such thing as pulmonary hypotension?  (the opposite of PAH)
I am trying to come up with theories to why I am short of breath at rest, but it improves with exercise

i was thinking that since PAH causes SOB with exertion, maybe my opposite symptoms could mean pulmonary hyPOtension?     what would be the symptoms of that?    What else would cause breathless feelings at rest that improve with cariovascular exercise?

Pulmonary hypotension can occur but only due to heart failure, body fluid depletion, a great fall in systemic blood pressure, shock and obstruction to blood flow into the pulmonary arteries.  There is no correlate of primary pulmonary hypertension.

The most likely cause of what you describe, shortness of breath at rest that improves with exercise, is hyperventilation.  For some reason you are overbreathing and/or focusing to an abnormal degree on your breathing, at rest, and this is most often associated with anxiety, with or without panic disorder.  Treatment consists of cognitive behavioral therapy or a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor in the case of panic disorder and a combination of those 2 treatments in the case of panic disorder with agoraphobia, which is an abnormal fear of open spaces.  Breathing exercises can be part of the behavioral therapy but not because the disorder is due to faulty breathing habits.