Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
pulmonary nodule in left lower lobe

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

pulmonary nodule in left lower lobe
I went to have a ct scan done and they found a 5mm pulmonary nodule in my left lower lung. Does this mean cancer? I am so scared i need some answers and advice.
A 5 mm nodule is considered quite small.  The odds are high, and in your favor, that a nodule this small, especially one with a smooth, round border, is a benign lesion.  That would be especially true if you are a non-smoker.  Depending on smoking history, geographic location for example mid-west or southwest, your age, the radiologic density of the nodule and the presence or absence of this nodule on previous x-rays, your doctor, especially if he/she is a lung specialist, working with a chest radiologist, should be able to provide informed speculation on the nature of this lesion.  It is very important that they review all previous chest x-rays and, if any, previous CT scans.

A nodule this size does not lend itself well to a number of diagnostic techniques, including thin needle biopsy/aspiration.  Skin tests and serological testing are non-diagnostic and, hence, useless.  Unless there is one or more specific features of this nodule to suggest cancer, your doctors will probably recommend a period of waiting, with a repeat CT scan in 3 to 6 months.

You may wish to discuss the above with your doctors.

Good luck.
Well I did smoke for about 4years then I quit and I have been smoke free for 9 years.When I was around 13 I had pneumonia could that maybe caused scar tissue on my lung?  
A related discussion, due lung nodules pulmonary cause pain was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker