Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
question about persistent post-nasal drip

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Two questions, really, about chronic post nasal drip.  One, can a deviated septum contribute to it?  Two, at its worst, it feels like it is dripping directly into my mouth rather than into my throat, I assume this is just a perception because the palate separates the mouth from the nasal cavity, but is this possible?
A deviated septum can make the postnasal drip worse be changing the way the normal flow of mucus occurs.  It will feel like it is in your mouth and indeed it is at the back of the oral cavity.
sorry i can't answer your question - but my story may be of use to someone else. I had a post nasal drip for years that got worse and worse to the point of not being able to sleep without cholking on mucous - this was rather terrifying and I'd jolt awake from not breathing with a hugh amount of adrenalin and really high heart rate. I presume i was choking in my sleep.

to cut a long story short I eventually identified the cause as food related rections. I would get the reaction after eating dinner and it would last until maybe 2 am before I could sleep.

I am doing an elimination diet with the help of a dietician after being diagnosed by an immunologist/allergist based on my observations about what foods cause the mucous/coughing.

The main problem is with salicylates - natural substances in fruit and vegetables, the net problem seems to be with some protein rich foods like cheeses which contain "amines".

basically on the elimintaion diet I have dried right up and can breathe normally. Next is a challenge phase to identify more speciically what's the cause. I am so relived to breathe normally it's a fantastic feeling. It's been a long process banging my head against brick walls with various GPs that didn't think food could cause mucous problems.

PS I will probably do a challenge with Aspirin which is a form of salicylate - to find out whether it would be dangerous for me to take that medicine.

all the best with resolving your problem.
Inanga. How long did you go on the elimination diet to pinpoint the foods you were allergic to? I also have have post-nasal drip and other sinus problems.
Also, get spray saline and irrigate your nasal passageways well twice a day. Do this for about three months. Do not eat lying down and do not eat within an hour of sleeping or lying down. These infections may be viral, bacterial or fungal, sometimes all three piggybacked,  but they encapulate and are a bear to eradicate.
Hi sanufi

I suspected food for a couple of years but my GP didn't believe it so i didn't get far. Saw an allergist who put it down to pollen and said go away until winter and start allergy shots for pollen. Didn't believe him so i started exporing my food reactions by myself. It has been very hit and miss and slow. Knowing what I know now I would have persisted in finding a GP or allergist that could help. The ones I have now are excellent and right on the ball.

To answer you question: about 3 months ago i started to notice certain fruit and veg were problematic and avoided them and started to get better almost immediatly. Then i identified more and more. Eventually I saw the immunologist who told me about salicylates - i checked the list of foods and they matched almost exactly with what i had identified from expereince. So i have been on the "Salicylate, Amine and Glutamate elimintation diet" for about 3 weeks. I have dried right up already. The amines looking like being a problem becuase I get symptoms from cheese (protein stuff).

in another few weeks when i've been symptom free for a while I start introducing challenges to see what causes a reaction. This needs to be done strictly to avoid confusion.

it's great to be able to breath normally and not be choking on bucketloads of mucus. I feel confident I'm on the right track and heading for some sort of resolution.

good luck to you
A related discussion, postnasal drip in  cleft nose patirnts was started.