Respiratory Disorders Community
random choking cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

random choking cough

I am not sure what forum to post this in, but I have had a random cough for the last few months. I am not sure what the cause is, but it started a few months back when I got sick. I had a cough that seemed to come with a cold, but the cough was different in that I could not catch my breath in between coughs and ended up gagging trying to catch my breath. It almost felt as if my throat was tightening up when coughing. I went to the doctor several times as a result of this as I felt better as far as the cold went, but was still having this cough. The first time the doctor prescribed a codeine based cough medicine which did not seem to have much of an affect. The next time I went in the doctor prescribed an albuterol which seemed to help somewhat but still did not stop the coughing. I went back to the doctor a third time, and she thought it may be acid reflux and prescribed a medication for that but I am still having the coughing. The coughing seems to be completely random, it does not become worse when laying down or exerting myself. The one thing that does seem to make it worse is when I have a cold. It seems as if the coughs from my cold trigger this cough that has been going on for quite some time now. The thing that makes me worry is that the cough does not happen often at all anymore,but when it does happen it still makes me choke and unable to catch my breath, and as far as I can tell my actions have no affect on the coughing spell. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated as I my insurance has changed as of this year and I will not be able to continue to see a doctor to figure this out.