Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
rapid breathing, advice?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

rapid breathing, advice?

My son is 9 months old.Has been dealing with respiratory trouble since three months. IN and out of hospital and at docs offices. Is currently on atrivent, pulmicort...with little success. HE has been diagnosed with bronchomalacia and possibly asthma.   Right now he is very bad and is trying doubling treatments as perscribed by doc in addition to a course of predisolone...Breathing is still rapid and last check his o2 level was 88. I am very concerned about the strain it may be putting on his little heart. What can I do? Already seeing specialist in pulmonology and general PCP. I am frustrated and tired and feeling very bad for him. We feel helpless and getting close to hopeless for a lack of ideas or what to do next.
Seeing a pediatric pulmonary specialist is the best course of action for you to take in trying to understand and control this problem.  If you are near a children's hospital, they should have specialists that can help you.
i wouldn't wait...bring him to the er....an O2sat of 88 is not desirable and harmful....i would refuse take him home until they can keep his O2 sats up and he is not breathing rapidly.....it's not fair to the baby nor you as his mother.....have they put him on oxygen? i know broncho malacia is from floppy muscles so maybe oxygen will help him and decrease the stress and struggle to breath......good luck
In response to both of you who read and answered my post...thank you, first of all...Secondly, over the past few days, Ben was back to the Doc at the request of myself and the specialist at Children's Hospital. He was markedly better having undergone numerous breathing treatments (albuterol, atrivent and pulimcort) as well as the prelone. I begged them (PCP) to give him an antibiotic, as I thought the underlying trouble that was flaring his respiratory problem was a sinus infection of some sort. They gave him an antibiotic and we went to the local hospital for Repsiratory to have his O2 level checked. Thankfully, he had improved and it was 96!  Over the weekend we continued all the treatments and meds. He is much better, just sounds like a little goose sometimes when he gets excited.  Thanks and we will continue to see our pediatric pulmonologist..I am very thankful we have them as resource.

Concerned mom of Ben
i'm glad your child is much better...that's a relief...hopefully he's on the right track....take care