Respiratory Disorders Community
'rattly' wheezy chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

'rattly' wheezy chest

For the past month I have had a sore chest and persistent cough. As soon as I lay down it crackles and wheezes so loudly that it keeps my wife awake and i try to get a bit of sleep sitting upright which lessens the coughing. This started like a head cold and still behaves like it with lots of mucus from my sinuses, balance problems and ear pressure. Some mucus comes up when I cough but not as much as there was for the first couple of days. Its yellow/brown colour and thick. I get very puffy even walking a short distance and start coughing. I have been on two kinds of anti biotics and chest Xray shows a buildup of gunk in the bottom of both lungs. The doctors are at a loose end - any suggestions that might help it clear up ?

thanks
Tags: wheezy
Has your sputum been taken to the lab for a culture and sensitivity test? This analysis examines the appropriate spectrum of antibiotics that can defeat the bacteria in the lungs. It is possible that the bacteria in your lungs was resistent to the 2 antibiotics you recieved. The key is to expectorate the gunk. You must drink plenty of water to liquifey the gunk and make it easy to cough up. Taking an expectorant rather than a cough suppressant will help loosen the gunk. Taking deep breaths and forcefully coughing on exhalation will help loosen and bring up secretions. It is important to monitor for worsening infection: fever, chills, difficulty breathing and increased mucous production. Puffer medications that open airways to improve breathing, lessen wheezing and decrease inflammation are often prescribed. This is the season of respiratory influenzas and getting a flu shot is essential. Influenzas viruses are more aggressive than the common cold and symptoms can last for several weeks. Hope this helps. Well wishes to you!
thanks for the advice -  seems the older I get the less I remember. Had a flue shot this year but this seems different to the normal flu. I'll follow your advice and hopefully it will gradually 'fade away'. I had a fever but that's gone now and the amount mucus I cough up has reduced but I'm still very wheezy and crackly and  bit tight in the chest so the expectorant is the go and I'll get some today. Thanks for bothering to answer
kev
You are so welcome!
Did you find out what this was? I'm having the same thing now