Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
reccurent throat infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

reccurent throat infection

Hello everyone,

I am very concerned with a strep throat that keeps on coming back. I had it 4 times already since the summer so every month I take antibiotics. Now the last doctor that I saw he excplained to me that it might be something viral. I m so concerned about it that I can't sleep at night. How is it possible that I always get this strep throat and the guy I am dating never has it. At the beggining I Thought it s him because every time I would see him and had intercourse with him I would get throat infection. He says he did his blood tests and that he doesn t have no std s. Now Tomorrow I m going for blood tests myself because the doctor told me I might have soemthing viral. I never seen the papers proving that my boyfriend is clean but he said he ll show them to me. I don t like accusing left and right but honestly I am very concerned about this. Everytime I get this infection I have the feeling that I have it in my vagina also. A few days ago I felt like a burning sensation and the right interior labia was swallen . I only put some cream (Canestin) on and it doesnt seem to bother em no more. Also the doctor today didn t see anything abnormal maybe a little redness. Just 2 days after the burning sensation the throat problem came again. I m verry concerned and I m scared that I might have something untreateable since the antibiotics only cure me for the time being. Please help me and let me know what it might me because it will take 2 weeks for blood tests results and I m not gonna be able to sleep at night because of the stress,.

Thank you kindly
Greetings,
You state, "I Thought its him because every time I would see him and had intercourse with him I would get throat infection.”  And, you may be right about this.  Group A streptococci (the most common cause of bacterial pharyngitis (sore throat) frequently colonize the throats of asymptomatic persons. That is a person can chronically be a carrier of the strep, but never develop clinical strep infections like yours. Carriage rates as high as 15% to 20% have been noted in several studies of children. The carriage rate among adults is considerably lower, yet not rare.  Thus, your boyfriend could be an asymptomatic carrier and thus repeatedly infecting you. That is why it would be appropriate for your boy friend to have throat cultures performed, optimally at the time of one of your sore throat recurrences.
The other possibility may be that you are a carrier, with symptoms of throat infection sometimes, and no symptoms other times.  This could occur especially if you did not strictly adhere to your prescription for the recommended full ten days or, if you did comply completely with the instructions to take the drug every day for ten days but, for whatever reason, this did not completely eradicate the strep, allowing enough bacteria to remain to re-infect you.
Repeat culture is not generally recommended after proper treatment for uncomplicated streptococcal pharyngitis, but in your case it would be reasonable to repeat the culture after full treatment. Although such a result could imply failure of treatment, it also may mean that you are a streptococcal carrier who had an intercurrent episode of pharyngitis, maybe even caused by another organism.  There is also the possibility that, while ten days of therapy rigidly adhered to completely eradicates the strep in the huge majority of individuals that you, for whatever reason might require a longer course of therapy than ten days.  
I suspect that there is no relationship between your sore throats and your vaginal disorder but really have nothing more to say about that.
Please, see an Infectious Disease Specialist because it is of the utmost importance that your sore throat problem be accurately diagnosed and effectively treated.