Respiratory Disorders Community
recovering from severe atypical pneumonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

hi everyone, i am 42 years old. i am in my 6th week of being home after spending 10 days in hospital 8 out of the 10 days in intensive care, i was on a ventilator for 7 days and heavily sedated. they tried to take me off the ventilator after 3 days but after a couple of hours i wasnt coping so they had to retube me, my progress as been very slow and ive been told its going to take me months to recover, iam finding this past week that im getting back pain and my upper chest feels quite sore to touch, i am being treated for reflux and have also been diagnosed with post trumatic stress disorder, i used to smoke until i got ill and havent since and never will again, a few years ago i had plurecy and chicken pox when i was 26 which  the scars flared up too. this is the 1st forum ive found with any up to date messages. i feel so tired and weak , unable to sleep, get out of breath easy and find i get dizzy too, ive got my 6 week outpatient next week which ive got a xray and got to do some tests, i have asthma and my peak flow at best is 400, i am very nervous all the time how im feeling, is anyone feeling like i am at the moment and is trying to recover from this horrible illness as i feel so alone
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain could be due to pleurisy, more so if there is pain on coughing or with movement of the chest. Your weakness could be due to your recovering phase. Just ensure to complete your medications and take a balanced diet, which includes adequate proportions of fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Also, ensure to take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to get all the vitamins and minerals. Fruits also contain antioxidants, which are protective against many diseases. If the pain persists consult your doctor for an evaluation. In the meantime, you can use OTC Acetaminophen for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.