Respiratory Disorders Community
residual affects of pneumonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

residual affects of pneumonia

I am recovering from a motorcycle accident which result in severe trauma and multiple cases of pneumonia in the hospital.  I just had a CAT scan of my lungs (12 weeks after accident) and the doctor told me I still have some residual fluid but you cant see it or hear it on xray or during exams.  He also told me I still have some scarring along the middle of my lungs as well.  I was in ICU for four weeks and hooked up to a respirator for three and half of those.  I was released from the hospital a week later because they wanted to get me away from the sick people. Is this normal after severe trauma?  After the accident I had severe rgt lung contusions it had to be drained of blood once during my stay as well. I also broke 6 ribs my collar bone and scapula as well.