Respiratory Disorders Community
sarcoid
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

sarcoid

how  long  will  a  person  with  stage 4  sarcoid  live  if  they  drink  everyday and  have
high  cholesterol  and  high  blood  ?

This discussion is related to What is a stage 4 of Sarcoidosis?.
Related Discussions
Hi Zoey,
End stage pulmonary sarcoid mortality(death) is as low as 5%, with the use of corticosteroids, supplemental oxygen, and as a last resort lung transplant. Sarcoid patients have a better chance of recovering from transplant surgery because they are relatively younger. Sarcoid can cause liver disease, but usually the granulomas that form there don't cause dysfunction. I know my liver is "sore" off and on for long periods of time, but it doesn't enlarge and my liver panels are always normal. But I would say the liver has enough to deal with just having Sarcoid so adding something else harmful to the liver definitely adds to risk of liver failure(I won't even take Tylenol). Each of the other things could add up to about 10% chance of mortality each, depends on their age, bmi, smoking history(i doubt they smoke anymore if they have stage 4 pulm sarc), how long it's been unmanaged, etc.  

If it was I, I would be under the care of a Pulmonologist, have full pulmonary function tests, Chest CT's, take every immune suppressant drug known to man(even though I'm not a fan of it either) get a Cardiac stress test with Echo, and manage what ever weight, cholesterol, blood pressure, substance abuse issues (I used to smoke and drink myself and quit and I take a sartan drug for blood pressure) I have and think about getting on a transplant list if treatment has failed for the pulm sarc. Hope this helps some, take care.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank