Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
scoliosis and asthma

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

scoliosis and asthma

I found out 4-11 2013,  That I have this going on,I have known for yrs that I have Asthma, and went to different Drs for it and my DR at Mercy medical wants an x-ray for my PA / AP What is this for ? yrs ago they use to have a place where People could get  free Pulmonary test I did so when I was in my 20s a DR named Robert Gardner Told me that my Oxygen level was bad,then , I am now 54 yrs old, 5'9 and 160 pounds, Is walking Going to hurt me or Help me,?? I love to walk as a form of exercises, I can't do sit ups because of my back, I just wanted to know what I need to do,?? thanks Susan,
Tags: Scoliosis
Both scoliosis and asthma can, either separately or together, affect a person’s breathing.  And, either one can also result in low oxygen levels.  Assuming that you really had “bad oxygen levels” in your 20’s, there is a strong chance that you having it now.

Walking will not “hurt” you.  It might cause your oxygen level to go down but that can be reversed with oxygen and/or more vigorous treatment of the asthma.

I have two suggestions:  1) that you work with your doctor or a respiratory specialist to evaluate how much of your respiratory is being caused by asthma and how much by scoliosis.  The addition of other asthma drugs to your treatment could open your breathing tubes and physical therapy and/or some type of brace might help correct or prevent worsening of the scoliosis.  The chest X-ray that your doctor has advised along with a breathing test (Spirometry) and measurement of your oxygen level (by what is called oximetry) would be an important part of finding out what is going on and how it might best be treated.

Good luck
Thanks for letting me know that,stuff,I have had 3 different tests so far,even an EKG, found out things from there to My RT lung has been affected by.Scoliosis.why does it Make me tired when I walk up hills ?I do have a back brace and its very not easy for me to wear,I am taking Med's for my Asthma,I had the Breathing Test done last fall too,I take Albuteral,for this too, This is what I .I have done so far, and wanted for U to know, Thanks so much for telling me,  suzy550