Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
severe dry eye

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

severe dry eye

I have had severe dry eye for two years now. I've tried everything including having plugs put in and Restasis. I've had my thyroid tested, and it comes back normal. I would like to find an answer to the problem. I get swollen eye lids and the eye itself has what looks like dry pits in them. It is painful. I would love to  hear from someone that may have a solution.
Dry eye is a complex problem, thought to involve immunological processes and chronic inflammation.  It occurs alone or in combination with a number of immunologic disorders.  It is an area that requires specialized expertise.  You should inquire of the ophthalmology division of your nearest academic medical center to determine if there is a special clinic for the investigation of chronic dry eyes.

Another option is to contact one of the authors noted in the article cited below.  You might seek consultation at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.  If that is a long distance from your home, call the Department of Ophthalmology at the Infirmary and they might be able to refer you to a specialist in your area.

The citation below is for an article from the Laboratory of Immunology, Schepens Eye Research Institute, and Cornea Service, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA.  You are welcome to share this with your doctor.  Dry eye syndromes by Stefano Barabino and M. Reza Dana in Chemical Immunology & Allergy, 2007, Volume 92, pages 176-184.
You might want to post this on the Eye forum.  Someone there may be able to help.
Just curious as to why you think this is a respiratory problem?  Are you taking some lung meds that you believe may be causing/contributing to your dry eyes?  I am taking some meds (Spirive & inhaled steroids) that I think MAY contribute to my dry eyes, but Restasis & limiting the amount of time & days I wear contacts have helped a great deal to reduce the symptoms.  Have not yet tried using plugs.  Hormones--being post menopausal also contributes to dry eyes.
I've suffered from severe dry eye and have had it under controll now, for the most part, for at least 5 or 6 years.  Diagnosed as Sjogrens Syndrome.
Had sever headaches constantly due to: schrimmer test: 0 in one eye and a 3 in the other, 15 is normal. I have plugs (lower only) and like you tried the normal meds to fix it, but they didn't.  What has helped however is taking large quanites of essential fatty acids.
I take appox. 1/3 cup of these oils combined, every day without fail, divided into 2 doses AM and PM.  Took several years to find the right quanites for me:  Evening Primrose oil; Vit E; Barleens Flaxseed Oil and Nordic Cod Liver (no fishey taste).  I use the highest quality available, cost more but works better.  Had 10+ years experience trying different brands.
I suggest you read all the information on Udo'sChoice.com  because it is so informative concerning essential fatty acids and how to take them..
If you decide to try the oils, go slowly, working your way up little by little....  Too much  will make you feel sick to your stomach but will pass after a few hours.  Udo's site explains this and why.
Although Udo's is a quality oil combination,as stated before, I take mine seperately because my lungs are involve as well requiring higher doseage of Flax. and Codliver.  There is hope.