Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
sharp upper back pain when i breathe in deep

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hi, im a 27 year-old male and last night I experienced some sharp pain in my upper right side.

This pain first occurred this Saturday after spending all day cleaning the garage. It occurred while having a beer with some friends that night, all of a sudden it shot from the lower part of my ribcage (the cartilage part) upwards. I didnt associate it with breathing, but the next day I noticed that when I laughed it would hurt. I dismissed it as a sore rib or something and sure enough it went away after 2 days.

Last night, it came back. It just started hurting when i breathed in. I had half of a sandwich and a drink. I
Pain in this area and manner can be from several different causes.  This can be due to the nerves that go along the ribcage that may have been irritated for some reason.  It could be from inflammation on the lining of the lung.  It is doubtful, but possible it could come from a source in the lungs.  As this is not going away and it is obvious that this is of concern to you, I would suggest seeing your physician for a good physical examination and possibly some x-rays.
Did you ever get a x-ray?I have upper right back pain also, i think it is my lungs, even though i have had a x-ray and it came back normal.I am 27 years old also.I smoke too and i am scared that it could be lung cancer.
A related discussion, upper back hurts when i take a deep breathe was started.
A related discussion, sharp neck pain when i breathe in was started.
A related discussion, Sharp upper back pain on right side was started.