Respiratory Disorders Community
short breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

short breath

latley ive been so out of breath the doctors tell me i have asthma but the pump never helps me and ive tried many different pumps yesterday and today i have been more than usual out of breath so i really can breath also ive been feeling gassy but i dont know if that has to do with anything
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

For Asthma you need to take the inhalers for some time before you see any effective results. There are two types of inhalers, rescue and preventive.

Ventolin or salbutamol is a rescue inhaler, that means you take this when you have an episode of Asthma. There are reliever inhalers which work for up to 12 hours after taking each dose. They include salmeterol (brand name Serevent) and formoterol (brand name Atimos).

There are preventive inhalers. The type of drug commonly used in preventer inhalers is a steroid. Steroids work by reducing the inflammation in the airways. When the inflammation has gone, the airways are much less likely to become narrow and cause symptoms such as wheezing.

Steroid inhalers are usually taken twice per day. If you have an exacerbation (flare-up) of your asthma symptoms, you may be advised to take the preventer inhaler more often.   Please discuss these options with your doctor, he can guide you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.