Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
shortness of breath and closing of windpipe

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Lately I have been having shortness of breath that actually seems to improve WITH and DURING cardio vascular exercise.   Also, in the mornings especially, it feels like my "windpipe" below my thyroid area is closing up and restricted, and I have this persistant cough basically all day and sometimes cough up a yellow/greenish mucus.  

Was my chest xray, ABG and PFT sufficient or should I have a CT or MRI?   I'm only in my late 20's but I'm still worried.

Also how can this connect to my chronic daily headache syndrome, neurologically?

All suggestions gladly welcomed
thanks
In some circumstances the compression of the windpipe by a tumor or blood vessels may actually ease with exercise.  You need to have a fiberoptic laryngoscopy.  This is a thorough look at your upper airways and voice box using a scope with a small video camera at one end of a flexible tube.  Special attention should be paid to the size of your airways and compression from the outside of the windpipe.

Then you will need a CT of your sinuses.  This will show if sinusitis is the source of your discolored mucus.  If this is not the source, you should have a CT scan of your lungs to see if there is bronchiectasis.  This is a lung problem where the airways become distorted with areas where mucus can collect.

Shortness of breath that improves during aerobic exercise is most often due to an emotional cause, such as anxiety.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker