Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
shortness of breath and closing of windpipe
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

shortness of breath and closing of windpipe

Lately I have been having shortness of breath that actually seems to improve WITH and DURING cardio vascular exercise.   Also, in the mornings especially, it feels like my "windpipe" below my thyroid area is closing up and restricted, and I have this persistant cough basically all day and sometimes cough up a yellow/greenish mucus.  

Was my chest xray, ABG and PFT sufficient or should I have a CT or MRI?   I'm only in my late 20's but I'm still worried.

Also how can this connect to my chronic daily headache syndrome, neurologically?

All suggestions gladly welcomed
thanks
251132_tn?1198082422
In some circumstances the compression of the windpipe by a tumor or blood vessels may actually ease with exercise.  You need to have a fiberoptic laryngoscopy.  This is a thorough look at your upper airways and voice box using a scope with a small video camera at one end of a flexible tube.  Special attention should be paid to the size of your airways and compression from the outside of the windpipe.

Then you will need a CT of your sinuses.  This will show if sinusitis is the source of your discolored mucus.  If this is not the source, you should have a CT scan of your lungs to see if there is bronchiectasis.  This is a lung problem where the airways become distorted with areas where mucus can collect.

Shortness of breath that improves during aerobic exercise is most often due to an emotional cause, such as anxiety.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker