shortness of breath during menstrual cycle
what could cause shortness of breath during my menstrual cycle?  this began when i was 11 years old and i've now been dealing with it for 28 years.  some months are worse than others.  it usually just lasts a few days but is miserable.  it can begin a few days before my period starts or during my period.  it seems to be a hereditary thing.  my mother and grandmother had the same problem and my daughter also seems to have it.  i've asked doctors about it and nobody seems to have any clue.  i feel like i can't take a deep enough breath.  i have to make myself yawn or lean over (in a tripod position) to be able to take a deep enough breath.  
Nothing makes you feel more normal than google! I've been experiencing this 20+ years and suffering now.  Shortness of breath, constantly attempts to yawn...usually unsuccessfully gasping for deep breath. Makes my head hurt.   Doctors have and aren't looking for any explanation.  Hate that you guys are going through this because I know how much it ***** but knowing im not alone proves it's not imagined.
I also have anemia, as low as 9.5 at one time - I am on iron supplements - heavy cycles since the birth of my twins in 2010 - always know when my period is starting because about 4 days before I get so weak and short of breath - glad to see I am not alone.  How many others have low iron or have been diagnosed with anemia?
Me too!  Have had cat scans, ekg, xrays, etc. etc. etc.  Dr.s always say lungs sound fine.  I am anemic, which I think is part of my issue - however, it doesn't happen during or after my cycle, just a few days before it begins.   So I always know it's coming - but I hate feeling like this and having to suffer and basically stop living life for about a week each month.  It *****!
I've been dealing with this a couple years now. I'm 43 yrs old. I've started bleeding heavier these last couple years & was wondering if it was related to that. My breathing issues always start right when my period starts and lasts up to a couple days. Some months are worse than others. It hinders my sleep as well as I just get so tired during the day. Also had dizziness, light-headed, fast heart rate. I've thought of taking iron suppliments during my period. Anyway, good to know I'm not alone in this.
Okay. This is what I've found out so far. Two years ago this exact breathing problem hit me. I had full respiratory investigation for asthma and other related conditions including bronchoscopy. I had full heart investigations (as I had arrhythmias also) - all clear. So nothing to do with the lungs or heart.

I am going through the peri-menopause (age 49) and now realise that the breathing problem is related to the hormone swings as everyone else has mentioned. Hormones and breathing are definitely related. You have an urge to want to breathe more deeply as Anders suggested. You can't help it, it's your biochemistry.

However, you can mitigate it. First learn breathing exercises. I saw a respiratory physio who taught me how to breathe. She didn't find that I had particularly dysfunctional breathing (people who have panic attacks often hyperventilate because of anxiety) though I was found to have exceptionally low Co2. I wasn't getting panicky just couldn't 'get a breath in' and had the urge to deep breathe.

She advised the following.

1. Always breathe through the nose
2. If you want to yawn - don't! Swallow any yawns as this is your brain trying to get you to over-breathe.
3. Lie on the bed and relax your body. Start to breathe in quietly and gently to the count of your natural relaxed in breath, say 3 counts. Then exale gently DOUBLE the counts, so that would be 6 counts. Or in for 2, out for 4. Do this several times a day for 5 minutes. The more you practise the more your brain will learn to do it on its own.
4. Once you can do this, practise standing against a wall doing it for 3 seconds, several times a day. Once you can do that, practise walking up some stairs, one step in for 3 seconds, up the next step out for 6 seconds.

This hasn't cured me by any means but it has meant that I can now handle the very worst episodes of breathlessness and know that I can get through it without ending up in A and E!

The other thing that is important is that you check your FERRITIN levels. Getting your iron level checked is fine, but likely it is normal. However if your ferritin level is low my doctor told me it can cause dizziness and  breathlessness. Mine was 14 which is way too low and I take 200mg 3 times a day during my extremely heavy periods and then 200mg x 1 a day the rest of the month. (That is after raising my level to 37 by taking 3 x 200mg for the first few months).

Hope this helps others. This hyperventilation is very difficult to deal with but it probably has NOTHING to do with stress or anything else if you notice it before or during your period and you are not suffering from depression, anxiety or stress at other times.

Remember it's not our fault, it's our hormones doing it to us!
Thank you all for this wonderful insight!  I have been experiencing the inability to take deep breathes for over 2 years now with no pulmonary evidence to support my problem.  I have been researching hormonal fluctuations and their symptoms and have found that changes in Progesterone can cause shortness of breathe.  About two weeks before your menses Progesterone increases and can cause shortness of breathe..... I'm not a fan of birth control but I wonder if being on it would help?
So happy to have found this thread. Going to gyno on Monday. (Finally have insurance. Yay!). Been dealing w this for 2 years. Hopefully doc can help me out.
THANK YOU!, and to the plethora of respiratory, pulmonary and cardiac specialists with which I have spent countless hours and on which I have spent ridiculous amounts of money both in your offices and even more still at my local pharmacy filling monthly $300+ RXs to absolutely no avail, I have this to say to you...., "SHAME ON YOU! I'm not upset that you couldn't cure this, but I'm mad as hell that you dismissed my symptoms, blended them into my childhood asthma, anxiety, exhaustion,...even had one of you tell me I was breathing perfectly so I must just be imagining it all!  REALLY?! You couldn't take five minutes to check if other people had ever had these same symptoms?!SHAME ON YOU! I just connected the dots a month ago, googled "shortness of breath before my period" and five minutes later the weight of the world was lifted. Just knowing all of you guys exist is such a blessing! I've spent the last 6 years of my life wondering if my next "asthma" attack would be the one that finally killed me! I do have seasonal asthma, but a few years back I started having these weird attacks. When I exhaled, my diaphragm would not completely relax. I would have to use my abdominal muscles to expel the rest of the air out of my lungs. But as soon as I relaxed my rib cage would pop right back up again. My lungs were very clear with no congestion and no wheezing whatsoever. I went to the emergency room several times and my pulse ox was perfect. Normal asthma medications only raced my heart rate and made me nervous and sick. When I tried to sleep I would have sleep apnea. These episodes would start four days before my period and would continue for sometimes up to a week. After the third night with no sleep I would be exhausted and emotionally a nutcase. That's when the panic attacks started. Of course shortly after that I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. I was prescribed lorazepam which did actually work. But let's face it who can afford to go to work doped up on lorazepam for a week out of every month. At the same time that was happening another doctor prescribed Advair which is a bronchial dilator as well as a steroid and retails for $230 for one month supply. I was also prescribed Singulair which did stop my seasonal allergies. But what I was experiencing had nothing to do with allergies or asthma. Two months ago I had the worst attack ever. It lasted eight days and unlike most of these episodes I was actually having seasonal asthma problems at the same time so I was doubly miserable! It was as if the part of my brain which controlled the involuntary reflex to breath was paralyzed and I was having to make a conscious effort to breath every single breath in the face of a pulse of over 100 from all the medications and an upset stomach because I couldn't eat. I'll be quite honest with you, I was considering suicide. I felt backed into a corner and as though I was being forced to make a choice between suffocating or dying,  and dying seemed more possible than living like I was living. In fact it seemed like it might be a welcomed relief.  It was along that time that I googled my symptoms. Bam! They're all of you guys were! I've never been so happy to meet a group of miserable folks as I was when I read the first post. And after about the fifth post I was in tears! I called my sister who had recently had a hysterectomy and was on hormone replacement therapy. She brought me five progesterone tablets. She also showed me a few tricks that she had learned when she was taking care of a patient who had cystic fibrosis. Here's what we did: 1. I took one progesterone tablet and two magnesium pills and one B 12 vitamin. 2. I took two cloth belts like those you wear around your waist I sat up on the sofa and I forced the air out of my lungs to the point that my rib cage would be if I were in a relaxed fully exhaled breath , then I put the first belt around the lower portion of my rib cage just tight enough that I could feel it, then I put the second belt around the upper portion of my rib cage right above my breast a little bit tighter than the lower one. This kept my rib cage from floating back up like it had been doing. 3. Now this third part doesn't sound important but I cannot stress enough how much relief I got from this. We took four freeze packs like the kind you put in your lunchbox to keep your lunch from spoiling. We put one freeze pack under the top belt right on top of my spine and did the same under the lower belt. Then we put the other two in the center of my chest under the top and lower belts. Be sure to rent the packs in a cloth so that you don't get frostbite. After you've got your ice packs in place put a longsleeve sweatshirt on and lie flat on your back. You want the belts to be tight but not so tight that it prevents you from taking a fairly deep breath of air. Remember the point is not to keep you from breathing, it's just to keep your rib cage from flying back up so that you can fully relax at the end of every exhaled breath. It was a miracle! Within one hour I felt 60% better at least. I slept for nine hours. When I woke up I took the belts off and stood up and breathed perfectly normal,..100% perfectly normal.
I made a note on my calendar of when to expect my next period. That day was today. Four days ago I started taking the progesterone tablets. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being as bad as last month's episode this month's episode was a 2. I think I could have been completely episode free if I had taken one more tablet, instead I settled for the 2 and used the ice packs. I didn't have to use the belts,  I just put one pack under my sport bra in the front and one in the back then the sweatshirt and slept like a baby.
I've also incorporated nebulized magnesium breathing treatments as well as glutathione nebulized treatments, also used in cystic fibrosis therapy. Strangely enough the magnesium breathing treatment works just as well as albuterol breathing treatments with zero of the nervousness and raised heart rate. Side note: I find it inexcusable that a respiratory therapist has never suggested to me that I use an $8.95 bottle of liquid magnesium to treat my asthma.  I've also opted to stop taking the Advair, instead I'm taking a high dose of Tumeric which is definitely working because I have not experienced the steroid rebound as I did in  the past when I'd tried to wean myself from that drug.
From the bottom of my heart I would like to thank the hosts of this website and all on the posters who took the initiative to put their situation out there so that hopefully others could gain some knowledge. You have definitely saved my life. I'm going to print each and every one of these posts and I am going to send a copy of them to every pulmonary specialist and every respiratory specialist and every cardiac specialist I know. At least they won't be able to claim ignorance. Can't wait to go see my gynecologist. I'm going to have all of my hormones checked every day for a week previous to my period so that I'll know exactly what those little buggers are up to. I would suggest that everyone who has this issue do the same thing.
God Bless.
I forgot to mention this in my previous post and I know every tad of information helps: a couple of the posters had mentioned that they had experienced dizziness. Back when my symptoms first started around six years ago I remember driving down the highway and suddenly feeling like the world was floating around. It got so bad during these episodes each month that I was actually diagnosed with vertigo. And asthma. And anxiety disorder. And sleep apnea. And depression. And being premenopausal. And a Partridge in a pear tree FaLalaLala Lala! Lala Lol!
I want to thank you for posting this information. I have also struggled with SOB around my periods for years. I thought it was stress, as I was, and still am, a student (studying Physiology), and eventually got a prescription for anti-anxiety meds. Then I thought it was dietary, so I cut out random foods to see if it would help. I feel tightness in my chest and have to breathe in deeply to get enough air, but more than anything I notice that I will often need long, forcible exhales. I have noticed that coffee makes it worse, which seemed surprising, since caffeine tends to open the bronchioles, but it would also increase breathing rate. I think your hypothesis is very interesting, and also fits with the women reporting that their symptoms worsen during and after menopause, when the estrogen-progesterone ratio decreases. I will continue to track my symptoms to see if the pattern fits and will try out your suggested breathing techniques.
wow...reading these posts made such a huge difference..I've had this problem since I was a kid..I'm 27 years old now and I've tried bringing many doctors' attention to this problem but no one seemed to understand what I wasa talking about..I word at a hospital and I still can't find a solution to this despite dealing with many doctors...it gets very frustrating I can't even be productive at work! I dont only have the shortness of breath but my shoulder blades swell and hurt so much so as my neck...ah..the things us women go through! :(
maybe you have anemia?
OMG what a relief finding this. I am not alone!!! This just started happening to me in August. I got dizzy driving, then felt short of breath and overall fullness in my chest. All to left side. Seems to wrap around my shoulder and underarm to my left back. Even my neck feels a bit weird on the left. Went to ER. Barrage of heart tests and nada. Then the weakness indigestion etc. Been to pulmonologist, gastroentologist, had cat scan of lungs, blood work for everything from Lyme disease to auto immune disorders. Meanwhile my primary care playing go between and keeping track. This was out of nowhere in August. She began to tell me she thinks it's anxiety disorder! From what I have a great life no real problems. I got a bit better then worse a few weeks later and another ER visit. She suggests anxiety meds. I get them but don't start taking because the side effects scared me. And I felt better again. 2 weeks progressively better. Meanwhile an unrelated test checking carteroid artery found a cyst on my thyroid. But thyroid blood work came up normal. But they still want me to check that out--coming soon. Then the other day I started feeling badly again. Not as bad but some breathlessness, fullness, achy left side, hot then cold, and weakness. Then it hit me! I think my period is coming. Then it double hit me-/**** both times I went to ER because I felt that bad and scared I had my period--August and September. Why hasn't any dr though of this!?  I have appt with GYN this Tuesday.  I'm 41 btw maybe a tad early for perimenopause but then again my mom stopped her periods super early (but she was an alcoholic). My entire life my periods have been unremarkable. Avg cramps, flow, and other annoyances. But mostly mild. But now I'm realizing it's heavier, lasting a full week, and the cycle is down to about 21 days--shorter than the 25ish it was. It's such a relief to find others with similar issues!!  
I have the same problem, you are not alone
Still dealing with it. Most hormone levels fine, except they found my DHEA is elevated. I've been on lexapro for anxiety and last few weeks feeling ok But another month has come and 2 days before period started feeling that can't get a satisfying breath that gets a bit worse each day until period hits and I'm at my worst. Then the back pain starts and fatigue but can't sleep right. I don't know where to turn. If this is part of perimenopause starting--and it literally just started a couple of months ago--I'll go crazy if this lasts for years
I too have the problem and have had it for years.  Sometimes I get quite dizzy, other times shortness of breath and terribly fatigue.  I hate it.  Today as I was running around I just didn't have the energy, I was out of breath and I had some discomfort.  I'm like what the heck is going on.  Meanwhile, I'm exhausted too!  Make along story short hours later "it arrived".  It answered a lot for me and atleast I know I wasn't dying.  I tend to forget what I go through until I go through it again.  As I type the palpitations are unreal.  I'm glad I came hear and read that I too am not the only one with these symptoms.    
After coming across this I am excited that I'm not alone been experiencing shortness of breath just to walk up flight of steps I'd have a  euphoric hazzy feeling like I was going to pass out.   ( which I'm normally very active ) happens a few days before my period and I thought something so serious was happening to me like I was going to die and had all the same testing  blood work , ekgs chest ex Ray ,and been to 3 different Drs. Last one said it was hormonal and gave me anxiety pills. I can rest easy now that I know it's hormonal and I'm not alone . I call it the crappy " feeling it *****
I have been suffering the same symptoms as most of the posts here, shortness of breath, at times my heart rate seems to speed up and my neck & back are always terrible at the same time. Been seeing my chiropractor (a young woman) who says my diaphragm was sitting too high & stress plays a big factor along with hormones.
Read some info from DR Libby Weaver, who discusses these female hormone imbalances in her books- in particular in Beauty from the inside out, and you will see a lot of these symptoms are common if our female sex hormones need balancing. Still resolving my issues but at least it is good to see we aren't alone. Worth tracking down someone who looks at these issues in a holistic manner. Interestingly I started to have these issues a few days after my daughter was born 5 years ago & have been getting it sporatically ever since. Doctors checked lungs & heart and feel that it is probably anxiety or otherwise havent much of a clue.
incredible how common it seems here...through the years of posts on this strand...why don't doctors know more?  Don't they listen?  I just got my heart checked due to feeling very faint, feeling too tired to finish my sentences without running out of breath, arms feeling very heavy, achy neck like I got a deep tissue massage and all doc found was a couple of skipped beats but "nothing to worry about".  I'm very glad, but WTH?  What is causing this once a month?  Isn't there a clear diagnosis and understanding of the exacts in these cases, from doctors yet?  
I experienced this really badly a little over a year ago. Now, I'm experiencing it again. I'm a few days out from my period and this has been going on for about a week. I find that Magnesium helps slightly but although this isn't a panic attack (which I have had plenty of) focusing on my breathing only makes it worse. I found when googling that many women have posted the same type of symptoms when on birth control and I think it was one of mine for the few months I was ever on ocps. I also have an inhaler which doesn't seem to do anything for this (I have it for cold, dry weather). Just try and keep your mind occupied as much as possible so you don't focus on it and try and breathe as normally as you can.
I have exactly the same symptoms as everyone that has posted on here… I was diagnosed with endometriosis about 5/6 years ago and shortness of breath before/during/after a period is one of the symptoms.
I went back and forth to my doctor about this and she did not put 2 and 2 together and until i researched this myself and mentioned it to her… the penny then dropped!!

Research shortness of breath with endometriosis and you may get some answers… Good luck
Hi guys.... I have started having the same ing since January as well... Four months now and it comes and goes and now I get panic attacks sometimes when it happens. Anyway, I spoke to a life coach I know very well and he told me to practice meditation at least for five minutes a day and to also do belly/ long deep breathing when it happens. I've started inhaling in to my belly, holding it for a seconds, then exhaling softly and I'm telling you, praise Jesus it calms it down SO MUCH!!! This definitely needs a cure though, since so many women are suffering with it!!! But, belly breathing helps a lot... Just patiently try it and see. Worst is to start panicking and exerting yourself by trying to take deep breaths... It makes it worse and you become anxious.... Calming my self down and belly breathing for a few minutes helps me breath normal again! Try it I promise you it helps so much!!! I think this has to do with our hormones...
I will definitely try some of the tips listed here. But it seems there's no cure for this.

I too have experienced this for decades. I get this problem before my period although I don't have them any more due to the IUD and it can last up to 2 weeks. Sometimes it's so bad I have to sit and focus on breathing. When I take a deep breath my chest hurts. Dizziness and fatigue I can handle but shortness of breath is just killing me.

It's more than annoyance since I am trying to box. Every time I have a fight I have to worry about the date. I feel like dying without any physical activity and boxing in this condition really scares me.
I know this is an old thread.  But, I tend to agree with you here.  I have been dealing with this issue for around eight years, and I have just been trying to find a pattern.  i have had chest x-rays and other tests, dealing with dizziness and shortness of breath that lasts up to a week and then goes away.  I feel bloated when I have my SOB, and notice that I will have more gas and have to burp a lot to try to relieve it.  I noticed that when I quit drinking soda for several months, the symptoms diminished greatly and mostly went away.  I feel like it could be diet related, or possibly candida, or food intolerance.  Along with the hormone imbalance, because it seems to happen during ovulation time.  I find it frustrating that there are not answers.  I have been treated for iron anemia, but this last time my iron count wasn't really low.  I just feel like they treated me because there were no other answers.  Also, said it is anxiety and tried to put me on pills for that.  I would like to go to a holistic doctor to see what they say.  I was having very heavy periods after I stopped breastfeeding, so I started to take a supplement called EstroSense which seemed to balance that out.  I get scared when it happens though, like I may have lung disease.  This is one of the only places that I have found that describes my symptoms.  The body is a complex thing and I just think that something is out of balance.  Good luck.
I have the same issue - I'm pretty sure it is from not enough iron. One of the symptoms of iron deficiency is shortness of breath, so maybe try taking a multivitamin every day that contains iron and see if that improves your symptoms. I take an extra iron supplement sometimes. We lose iron every month, some women more than others, and I know I don't consume enough iron in vegetables and red meat every day to make up the difference.
For the past 3 months my 15 year old daughter has been going through the exact same thing.  She gets very weak and sometimes even has to sit down as she walks to her classes at school.  She gets dizzy and sometimes has blackouts.  Her chest gets tight and she can't breath.  Her inhaler helps her during regular asthma attacks, but it does not help her with the attacks she has around the time of her period.  Her doctor's only answer was to "drink more water".  She ends up missing school every month because of this.  Hoping to find an answer soon...
Do anulom vilom pranayam (alternate nostril breathing), to send extra oxygen to the brain, Do this for 5 to 15 minutes daily. Please write your feedback when you experience the benefit.
I have had this same exact problem! can't catch a deep enough breath and have to force myself to yawn in order to feel comfortable if just for a couple minutes.  I have had several blood tests, chest xrays, and even a stress test(I am 37 and workout 6days a week). I am anemic, however, I take iron pills for that. It makes me so nervous that I end up working myself up to a panic attack. If anyone has found anything that can be done to make this even a little bit better, PLEASE lmk! it's very tough to deal with!
I too have been experiencing shortness of breath before, during and sometimes right after my period.  It has gotten worse as I've gotten older (I'm 45), as have may of my PMS symptoms (especially headaches and mood swings).  It's funny though. I remember feeling these symptoms when I first started my period at age 10 through my early teens but by late teens, 20s, 30s it wasn't quite as bad. I think I experienced the symptoms but didn't put 2 and 2 together because it didn't happen with every cycle. But now that I'm perimenopausal, it seems happen with every cycle.  I'm a physician so I've done a lot of self-diagnosing and come to the conclusion that it has to do with the fluctuation of hormones and possibly pulmonary endometriosis.  What makes me really upset is that there are no studies out there that I know of that are actively investigation PMS and the havoc it wreaks on women's lives.  I know if this were a condition that affected men, there would be countless studies (and probably cures).  I think it's a shame!  I believe if studies were done, we would find out that many conditions/symptoms that women suffer through (from depression to shortness of breath to migraines to insomnia) can be linked to hormone imbalances. Anyway, I'm glad that we now have the internet as a forum to discuss these issues and to discover that we are not alone.
I have noticed this symptom more and more as I get older, I'm 48. I mentioned it to my doctor, she said it's not common, well I guess judging by this thread it is. Thank for all these posts!
Thank you so much everyone for posting your stories! I too have the same problem. Can't get enough air in. I'm 2 days into my period now. The slow breathing into my tummy helped last night that someone suggested to get me to sleep. I'm 41 and I have an 8 mth old. I know the entire time I was pregnant and exclusively breast feeding (no period) I had none of these symptoms and I had no anxiety, so to my mind it's definitely hormonal. The same thing happened when I had my first child 3 years ago. I too have low iron but am supplementing. Not sure this is related. Can't wait for a study to be done - completely affects my life for 5 days a month.
I have exactly the same symptoms, I went to the hospital several times to the emergency , I got my heart full check up all came out fine, The only thing that help me is taking half a pill of 2mg of Xanax (alprazolam) when I feel short of breath and dizzy and works like magic , all the nasty symptoms are gone and after about a week my period start
Hi Ladies,

experience the same thing, however there has been about two cases where I had actually been saying my "into thine hand I commit my spirit oh lord" prayer. I had one as recent as last friday. These two episodes happened in the wee hours of the morning, awaking me from sleep and it is always accompanied by a racing heart. Does anyone else get the racing heart too?
I also have this happen to me!!! I really thought I was crazy!!!! Its happened for so many years, and only last year did I finally put the pieces together, that it happens during my period. I actually thought for a number of years I was allergic to vodka !!!!! LOL!!!! I am 43 years old, and I am so serious when I say, it was only last year, I realized these horrible episodes were during my period. I also have been to the Dr, and the ER, many times thinking I was having a heart attack> I've had asthma my whole life, and when I would go to the ER and they wold give me a breathing treatment, I would get SOOOO frustrated, they didn't understand, this was not an asthma attack!!!!!! Just recently, I finally shared this with my dad, who googled it, (DUH) never thought to do that.... and he found this!!!!I was so thankful I wasn't insane!!!!! One person mentioned they take xannex...... that doesn't work for me!!!! the older I get the worse it gets, ITS SO HORRIBLE!!!! however..... I think I may have found something that works!!!!! there are many theories on here, who knows which one is right???? Someone had mentioned low oxygen due to losing so much blood. That really doesn't make sense, being that, myself, and many others commented it starts a couple days before the period actually starts. Who knows?? Anyways... first let me say, I am not trying to sell anything for personal gain. I bought this stuff on amazon!!! A friend had turned me on to a product, the maker is metagenics. VERY EXPENSIVE products. Can only be sold by a person licensed to sell metagenics. Protein shakes, vitamins, ETC. I, unfortunately for my bank act, am addicted to buying these damn products. Recently, I got tired of never being able to log in the my persons site to purchase some things. so I looked on amazon, and sure enough, they sold so many of these products, stuff Id never even heard of !!! I was SOOO excited! after looking through many products, I came across Hemagenics. Support for red blood cells.Just a bunch of vitamins really.... but for $20 for a 2 month supply, what the hell??? Maybe its all in my head, I don't know.... but my symptoms started a couple days ago, I seriously wanted to cry.... I took an extra one of these crazy vitamins, and I swear.....I was able to breathe!!!!  It hasn't been completely normal, but It DEFINITELY has been so much better than normal! I know I sound like an advertisement, but I really just people to get the same relief I'm feeling. Again.... maybe its coincidence, Im crazy, IDK... but so far I have found some relief. For anyone interested.... go to amazon, search metagenics hemagenics.  many to choose from. It should be about $20 a bottle
Same thing happens to me. Ive had chest xrays, ekgs, blood work, peak flows, all normal. I've been told it's anxiety caused by hormone changes. I do notice I feel more tense and nervous on my period. I've been dealing with this for 10 years now... it *****. BUT I also noticed my sinus passages feel more swollen around and during my cycle also. It's easier for me to breathe through my mouth... which in turn makes me feel like I can't get good breaths... which makes me anxious... which makes the breathing situation worse. Vicious cycle anxiety is. But be rest assured there are many people out there who deal with the same thing. :/ Hormones.
Oh my god!! My nasal gets swollen as well during this time and I thought it was just me!! So glad there are other women out there experiencing the same things so we can go through it together!
THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!!!!!!!!
Like so many others here, I have been suffering in silence for the last year or two. Severe fatigue, shortness of breath and Severe headaches. I thought it was just because I am now 45 and heavier. But I recently started running on my treadmill and found that I am fine except for the two weeks prior to my cycle starting. The day or two before actually start, I am a mess. I find simply functioning a problem. I get so depressed, my head throbs, and I can't even walk up the stairs without feeling like I am going to die. I am not on any kind of hormones or BC. Even taking Centrum daily vitamins to no relief. Sad that we have to go through it, but happy now to see I am not alone.
I've been getting my periods for the past 3 years....I'm 13 now.....but its the first time I'm getting breathless.......is it supposed to be normal????
Hello all of you.I have the same sypmtoms of shortness of breath one week before periods.what I have found is that its all because of nasal blockage.I have allergic rhinitis and if I dont use nasal spray and anti allergy tablet I have that shortness of breath before periods.I am using avamys nasal spray and sontel tablet 10 mg for this and I have found that this shortness of breath dont happen to me.sometimes we dont know that our nose is blocked and we start taking breath through our mouth and when we breathe through our mouth we feel that we r not taking enough oxygen and we feel like breathlessness.one more thing it usually happens before periods is because of changes in hormones and blood flow.and our nose get blocked.I took these medicines and my nasty symptoms have gone.u can consult some ENT speacialist in your area and take medicine for allergic rhinitis.
Thank you so much for this post - I too have similar symptoms and feel so relieved having seen all of you reporting that you experience similar problems. At the same time it makes me angry that so many women live with these symptoms worrying about their health while just being told that it is anxiety related. I will definitely show this post to my gynecologist the next time I go.
Just chiming in here to say: I did the Google thing because this has been bothering me, and I have been to the doctor enough to know they don't know, and I am so glad you ladies have shared your stories! I, too, feel like I am short of breath around "that time". Mine really ramps up a day or two before my period and lasts throughout. I feel like I am constantly having to take a deep breath. Also, I cough a lot more than usual and feel like I have phlegm in the back of my throat/chest. So, I will press on, as only we warrior women know how to do, and at least know that we suffer together! Peace and strength to all!
I go though the same thing too I have shortness of breath two weeks before my period and when I have it for 7 days then after I stop my period I spot for days and I still have shortness of breath and I look up and Line find out why this is happening to me but I couldn't find anything out I thought it was just me until I come on here I am 41 and I had my tubes tied for five years now thanks to all of you I thought it was just me
Please refer to https://difficultybreathing.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/

and also

http://www.rbphd.com/Docs/breathingretraining.htm

Progesterone is highest right before our period and you can see in the second article that progesterone causes a drop in CO2 levels. It all makes sense to me now. My air hunger is every day and it is due to low CO2 from deep breathing constantly.
it is driving me crazy as well this shortness of breath and I started to notice it's right before my cycle like a week or so prior it angers me more then anything because I travel for work and I am on the go all the time.   So glad to see its not all in my dang head lol.   I'm 54 and was a late bloomer when my menstrual cycle started so right now I'm pre menopausal and I still get my menstrual cycle.  Yes it is frustrating and my Dr had suggested I go to an anthropologist and I haven't yet because again I'm out of town so will keep you all posted to see what they may or may not recommend.
Im 12 and have shortness of breath too. Its like having shortness of oxygen. However I feel like sometimes I cannot breathe anymore, and all I can do is drink water. I get super scared and my anxiety kicks in which is horrible. I had to go to the hospital 2 times and took an X-ray of my chest, and heart. Everything was fine, thank god. However it only happens during my period cycles. I get terrified because because I'm only 12, and feel scared of death. Thank goodness there are some people out there with the same problem!
Your shortness of breath is definitely a symptom of your anxiety, I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks myself but I don't necessarily need to be anxious to have symptoms, the sudden onset of say, shortness of breath or weightlessness, is what gives me the actually anxious feeling. So the more you understand what the symptoms of anxiety are (there are tonnes on breathing and feelings in the chest) the more you'll be able to put aside worrying and eventually the breathing will fade, just don't expect it to take a couple of days :)
My friend is having it and she says it never happened before and idk what to do oml;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;
My girlfriend just had it right now in South Africa, Mafikeng, she was panicking and crying she looked so scared like... so i tried to stay strong and prayed in my heart and ask her to meditate on in her heart "psalm 23", i then put a fan close to her face and gave her some cold water and we also tried that she should breath into a bag, so tonight i am not sleeping as i have to try and watch over her and if i do fall asleep i asked her to wake me whenever she feels it again so that we can do the same routine. The problem is that after drinking the water she has to go pee and its so painful when she pees that she has to hold on tight to me and i have to bare the pain of her nails knowing she's going though worse that i can imagine, wish the was some way we can share it. So now going to do some research and combine all the info i find and post it here. By His stripes we are healed.
Look up autoimmune progesterone dermatitis
And find a doctor that is an ob/gyn that specializes in hormones.  Get tested for a progesterone allergy, but if it's negative, don't give up.  The skin test has a 50% chance of showing.  I'm 38 and have been struggling for almost 4 years.  Shortness of breath and sinus issues about two weeks out of the month.  It sucks.  There are specialists in Boston or other major cities, but don't give up.  Be your own advocate.  And when you get doctors who think you are crazy, find different ones that believe you. And journal all of your symptoms.  Show the doctors your patterns.  Good luck!