Respiratory Disorders Community
shortness of breath/frequent yawning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 201-246 comments:
hey lorisnails I was wondering if, after some years, are you still having those problems? I have the same thing and it started 9 months ago. I'm a 23 year old male, and I also tried an asthma pump (did nothing), anti acid pills (did nothing), chest x-ray and echocardiogram are fine. I have to say that it started on the day after I smoked 2 cigarrettes in a row and started some diet pills. I stopped the pills since then and have been without smoking for periods of 2 months and it's the same or worse. Thanks
Can u relate the hyperventilation with the fact it gets worse after we eat? And with the fact that when I wake up I feel as a NORMAL person, breathing in and out and taking as many deep breaths as I want?
I wonder if this case is more serious than we think but medicine has not identified it yet.  Does anyone know if this could be a mild symptoms of mild idiopathic pulmonary embolism which dissolves spontaneously hence the episodic nature.  Between 5 and 20 percent of people have a thrombophilic condition due to factor V Leiden mutation.  I wonder if anyone knows if people diagnosed with hyperventilation syndrome (or misdiagnosed) have been followed up for a long term to see if their PE rate or death from PE rate increased with age?  Or have these people ever been put on blood thinners to assess effect on the symptoms?
Hi everyone, I know these are old posts, but I wanted to respond because I am having the same issues with my breathing. I have had this since I was about 17 yrs. old. I have also been diagnosed with different things just like you. It is so darn annoying to try to catch a breath that it gets to be frustrating and then I do get anxiety from not being able to breath. I am going to the doctor Aug. 16th for a stress test and x-ray, so we will see what they say. If you smoke everything is blamed on that. I know it's probably the biggest problem, but I also know people with this that has never smoked. I hope we can find some help. If anyone out there finds out what this is and recovers let me know. Thanks Chris  
I have had these problems as a small child. My parents took me to the hospital and had x-rays and breathing test done. They could not find anything wrong with my lungs. I have noticed that my triggers normally happen after eating or drinking ANYTHING for any sort of stadium, like football games, soccer games, concerts or if I drink from a waxed paper cup from a fast food chain. Most drinks at concerts come from the wax paper cups but I have learned to stay away them so I would drink bottled water instead. This past week I ate a chicken strip basket and had a beer and noticed only minutes after eating the chicken strip basket my problems started. The actual basket was one of those paper kind and it had a piece of paper the chicken laid in. I have looked into this several times and the only think I have found is that most wax paper cups and plates have formaldehyde in them. Maybe I have a severe allergic reaction to formaldehyde?
Sorry my late reply.  We use more oxygen when we eat, it aids digestion.  So I went through a couple of months where i barely ate a thing, lost ALOT of weight, because I couldnt eat as I struggled to breathe.  I did find it was worse with carbohydrates and caffeine. Once I started Buteyko I was afraid to neat, but over time as I got "better", I noticed I wasn't struggling to breathe when I eat so much, and eventually not at all.  And I would be good alot of mornings too, I think because my breathing patterns would normalise in the night.  Then in the day, when I felt short of breath, I'd deep breathe (or try to) and start the vicious cycle all over again.  I went through nearly every symptom mentioned in this forum (I read every single one) and I also thought it had to be something more.  But in the end it was Chronic Hyperventilation triggered by Anxiety (evenly though outwardly you wouldn't have thought I was an anxious stressed person).  
I wouldn't have accepted this self diagnosis if I hadn't experienced swuch quick results in doing Buteyko and reading the Linden Method (to get the root of the anxiety problem i didn't believe I had lol).

I hate to see people suffering, I know exactly how you all feel. I hope that this helps and you all get better .

P.S  I still have bad days now, but I know what to do about it, and every time it works =)
I had many of the same symptoms as everyone else.  I started using Dexilant last year and it has worked like magic.  I was having heartburn without the burn.  Symptoms were SOB, feeling like I couldn't get a full breath in.  Exhaling was fine, just on the inhale.  Allergy test, chest X-Rays, PFT test....all that came back fine.  I ended up getting an Rx for Dexilant (1 pill in the morning when you get up) and within 5 days I was fine.  It's been almost 8 months symptom free for me.  Worth a try for others..
I had the same symptoms, I tried a combination of Benadryl & bronchial dilator, it goes away.  Ongoing I am taking herbal lung support and allergy homeopathic remedies.
I've had allergies for years but I do not take the shots anymore ever since I quit taking them I've been using an inhaler and that's been going on 20 years I have a hard time breathing everyday....the inhaler is the only thing that helps but doesn't work all the time for instance last night I hit that thing about 7 times....and yes I'm also allergic to cats  
and I have 6 of them so I guess I'm a ******* but they been with me forever the problem also occurs when I'm not at home I work out also and
sometimes it happens at the gym ...a Doctor did
tell me 1 time that I have hyper bronchial tubes I
don't know probably a combination of things
and also after I eat many times I feel very bloated and the breathing gets worse
bloating is probably caused by candida. it ferments glucose and that creates gasses. try eating a zero-carb meal and see if there's bloating and breathing issues after that. no carbohydrates = nothing to ferment = no bloating (or at least it will be minimal until the stomach heals itself).

but the main culprit behind the breathing/yawning issues is probably gluten intolerance.
I have this too and it makes going to school or simply hanging out with friends difficult. I always feel like I need to take a deep breath by inhaling with my mouth. I had this on and off since I was 10 but now I'm 18. This feeling also makes me dry nervous because I feel like I am on the verge of dying or worse I feel like it will never go away and I cannot live like this! In the past this was more bearable and I could live my normal life, I also would go away for certain periods of time...
Now I been having this for about 3 weeks severely and I can't seem to get any relief. I try the breathing exercises and they sometimes make me feel worse or the same. I really want this to leave me alone. It makes me not want to eat because I feel extra nervous eating while having this for some reason. I pray everyday for it to go away already.  
I had a really bad panic attack 3 weeks ago before this vicious cycle started and I guess that's what really set it off. I was at the ER and then the general doctor and the blood tests, EKGs, urine tests all came out normal except I lack vitamin d. They said its all in my head (anxiety related) and to see a psychiatrist. Funny thing is I don't feel stressed- this is actually whats making me anxious.... Anyways the psychiatrist said its severe anxiety and put me on 10 mg lexapro and said to take lorazepam when needed. The breathing problems are still there! Idk what the hell this medication is doing.... Sometimes I feel loss of appetite but idk if its from the MEds or my breathing. Idk what to do anymore and some days I try to remain hopeful and just suffer through it but others I feel like my only way out would be dying. I love my life tho and I don't wanna die but it's hard to be happy when you constantly physically FEEL like your suffocating..... My mind is stubborn and it won't leave me alone. I just want to breathe like a normal person. Once I'm asleep after much effort due to this bs I usually sleep for hours so its not like I can't breathe right, right? Idk. Once I wake up however it starts back immediately. This is like being in hell. It's a vicious, scary, uncomfortable cycle and there is only so much a person can take. I have a hard time believing I'm healthy even though they said I was and that my lungs sounded very clear. Sorry for this long rant but you guys are the only ones that may understand me. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated...also I have been eating very healthy, steamed chicken and veggies, naked juice, no candy. I'm on a diet and hoping weight loss will help but I have had this at 10 when I wasn't overweight so I dunno. Its getting worse and idk what to do. I just want to live my life I'm only 18 and I feel like I'm a 95 year old with extremely bad health. If you read all of this thank you very much. Oh and I don't smoke drink or do any illegal drugs.
Do any of you still have the same problem? Or have you found a cure? My husband had recently been going through the exact same thing & I'm worried.
thank you for this!!!  I have had sob, chest tightness and allergic asthma issues but no one could figure out what was going on, kept hearing allergies, until I couldn't swallow, had to clear my throat all the time, was constantly hoarse, etc -- minor heartburn that I ignored and then went to see an ent that confirmed very minor silent reflux and told me to start protonix, appreciate your post, was very fit and now the sob has kept me from doing anything and have been miserable for years trying to resolve it all
I've had the shortness of breath and yawning for over a year however I remember times from previous years when I had to constantly yawned for air but failed. For example I remember eating some cookie dough when I was 8 and my dad asked why I kept on yawning. I'm 13 years old, I maintain a healthy lifestyle which includes a-l-o-t of swimming, a bit of running and a healthy diet.
Lately I have also realised that I get even more short of breath pretty easily after I run for a second (to catch a bus for instance).. I have a tiny bit of OCD buts its nearly gone now but I don't think I have anxiety.  
I also get headaches very easily (in the past it was caused from dehydration but now I'm trying to drink a good amount of water a day and I still get alot of headaches). Thanks for your time!
I`m actually having the same observation, it gets worse on a full stomach and it gets easier to breath when the eating is not excessive.
Otherwise, I`m having the same symptoms: SOB, yawning to get air in and feeling that i can`t fill up that last 25-30% of my lungs.
I am 31, female and my problems started during high-school, gradually worsening.
I know Chinese medicine says trouble with the lungs comes from too much sadness.. maybe it`s true, maybe laughter and joyfulness are the cure. Anyway, I will try the breading techniques indicated, even though I think my main setback is the fact that i have a constantly obstructed &runny nose
This was very helpful.  Mine started at a very busy and stressful time at work.  Since I get full blood panels and workups every 3 months, I intend to find out what my pulse oximetry and other numbers are this month.  So narrowed down it could be stress and anxiety or it could be O2/CO2 levels.  I can deal with either of those much easier than my late stage 3b cancer diagnosis 5 years ago, There is a family history of COPD, emphysema, black lung, but that was environmental more that heredity.  Thanks for the helpful answers.  Best of luck, love and health to all my comrades in yawns and gasps.
I just saw a post you had about shortness of breath. I have had the same recurring issue for years...doctors were no help.  They always threw up their hands and said it must be stress.  I think I've finally found the reason.  Artificial sweetner! Asparteme, for sure.  I noticed that it would increase in the winter when I drank coffee, and became particularly bad if I added a diet soda in.  For years, I thought it was caffiene related, but there was no consistancy...at home I would drink a pot of coffee with no issues.  Well, at home, I drink my coffee black.  At work, I use artificial sweetner.  I also found that Fiber One, my favorite cereal, contains artificial sweetner.  So do the mints I eat, and other "diet" foods.  When I looked through my daily diet, I found tons of Asparteme!!! I cut it out...took a month or so to really notice...but the shortness of breath is gone!!! I've heard that Stivia is okay to use, but haven't tried it.  Took me 20 years to figure this out.  Take a look at your diet....Hope this helps you and others.
I deginately understand your pain and fustrations. Mine all started with a panic attack leading me to the er. 2 yrs ago. Docs said I suffered from migranes (migraines) and anxiety. Funny thing is, I always thought of migranes (migraines) as being very painful headaches....But mine felt like a pulsating band around my head which caused me to almost pass out several times.
I also found out that I was suffering from depression.

About a year later, I started having trouble breathing as soon as I fell asleep or wake up bc I felt like I stopped breathing. While awake, I'd have trouble yawning, taking deep breaths, sharp pains/ spasm(only last 1sec & occurs randomly) or burning in my checst or left breast, slight pressure in chest from neck to above breast, constant burping, cant get that full yawn, sharp pain/ spasms through out my arm, shoulder, & jaw. This is in no way normal. I had been to the er sooo many times because I thought I was having a stroke, heart attack, or something terrible with my lungs. The docs did ekgs everytime and blood work which all came back normal... And diagnosed me with GERD, anxiety, &  lacking vitamin D. Even MRIs on my chest and head came back normal. I hate going to my regular doc cause everytime I bring up my issues, she refers me to a psychiatrist!!! She really thinks Im crazy.

The last time that I ignored my bodies warning signs(when I knew something was def wrong) and listend to a doctor instead when they said my symptoms were normal, I ended up having a miscarraige (miscarriage) at 6month preg. So I no longer put all of my trust into docs. If you cant get answers from your doc and theyre treating you like a crazy person without showing proof of whats going on or actually showing enough concern to run test and rule out dyer issues......then you should def seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion or make them run test....afterall, you are paying for it.
I've suffered with this on and off for about 20 years.  Went through lung fnction test and dr assured me it was stress.  Didn't believe him until I was in a supermarket with my three toddlers and had a basket full of food and my credit card didnt' work.  I couldnt breath!  I finally believed.  Since then, whenever it comes on, knowing it is stress helps me get over it.  I often do deep breathing and I think I now naturally breath way more deeply as a normal breath.  I just had a chest xray and the tech commented on my long lungs.  She had to take two pics from the back to get my lungs in.  I'm wondering if 20 years of 'over breathing' has stretched out my lungs.  I'm 5'7" 110lbs so not a big person.  I also saw normal breaths per minute is 12 - 18.  When I count, I'm at 9-10.  At resting.   I'm now worried about copd since I smoked for 9 years, quitting in 1988.  Anyone else have their lungs stretched out from all this frequent overbreathing?
Hi Hava, I have read your comments on this issue of breathing techniques and I just wanted to ask about the technique. You say to breath out once per second through your nose, was that correct or a typo error.? Are you saying to push short continuous breaths out through your nose for the 20 minutes or so? Or should it be slowly puching the air out lasting a few seconds each time. I have been having this problem for about a month. I am not an anxious person and really dont have any concerns as such but I di have a virus a few weeks back which I noticed caused me to be tight chested, feverish, lost my voice all in the first week. 3 days in to wk 2 I felt improved and went to town but by the time I returned I again was gasping for air, feeling like my sternum had been punched relentlessly and like my ribs were so tight, compressing my lungs. I am unable to wear a bra at the moment due to the discomfort and increased breathlesness. My GP thought I had pluritic chest so had me checked out at A&E, thankfully nothing showed up in tests and xray, but consultant did say that it was possibly muscular skeletol issues, being in spasm and pushing on my lungs and sternum. Since then I have not improved. Can only walk a few steps before gasping and having to stop to sit down. I wake up in a morning and I take a really easy, much needed deep breath with ease but as soon as I sit up it's like a massive weight on my chest and the whole process starts for another day. I'm exhausted. I have severe mobility issues so can't take my mind off things by going for a run or walk. Please can you clarify what the excercise entails. Many thanks.
I am a 28 yo female and just recently (for about the last year), have been experiencing shortness of breath intermittently, but almost every day. I am a nurse, so naturally, my mind runs wild with all sorts of things it could possibly be. I also, feel like yawning seems to help sometimes (it allows me to get the full deep breath that I need). Unfortunately I suffer from generalized anxiety and panic disorder, so I guess it could be related. It is just such an uncomfortable feeling, and when I experience the shortness of breath that I'm talking about, I tend to think about it more and then of course, it gets progressively worse. I use Klonopin as needed for anxiety, and usually it does help significantly with the SOB as well. So I guess it's hard to say if it is stress/anxiety induced. All of my labs have always been perfect. I'm glad to have stumbled across this site thogh. It's helpful to know that I am not the only one to experience these unpleasant symptoms. Thanks all.
I put a bookmark on this forum because I've had the yawning and not being able to catch my breath for a long time.
I have settled on my explanation.  I had to work intermittently in a factory that produced asbestos items.  They were shut down.  The dust was thick in the air.  For many years I had the problem but felt that no one really believed my symptoms.  Lately I had doctor who didn't know about the asbestos told me he could see a previous exposure to asbestos in my lungs.  I see no cure for me but note that in this world of sleeze and misrepresentation the lawyers are making a killing off of mesothelioma, but there is no provision for those who have been affected to a lesser degree for a very long time.  I'm up in years and see no relief for me but must mention the asbestos thing so search your memory and think if you could have been exposed.  It will show in more sophisticated imaging.
Too many doctors will only prescribe an inhaler.
Go get your iron checked! I had this problem for 3 flippin years and it turned out I was iron deficient. If you Google the relationship between anxiety and iron deficiency you will find it. I was healed after 2 weeks on iron supplements! I can finally breathe hallelujah!! NO doctors figured this out for me. I figured it out on my own. I swear doctors are worthless sometimes.

But, don't just start taking iron. Get your levels checked first. You could jack yourself up if you take iron when you don't need it.

God Bless!
The same thing was happening to me also and i over come with it. but, i would like to say that its not a diesease or anything, it is something which use to happen due to our unexpected body moves/untimely exercise, and i know the cure also..

Thanks,
Rajni
WE ALL KNOW OUR BODIES BEST DON'T WE?
I totally agree! Please read ALL as I have *Honest to God* read EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS! Just searching for similarities,  answers AND RESOLUTION as I also JUST WANT TO BREATH!
I am 47yr old white female, 3 children, 29, 26 & 22.
Dogs, cats, no known allergies & not a panicky person.
Constant stressers & actually work best under duress as I do event planning & was single mother till '03.
That all said:
120lbs, 5', below 'average' low blood pressure all my life, do not smoke anything,  occasionally drink, fairly healthy diet, typical housewife activity- occasional grandchild in the house & run after my Yorkies now & again, only medical conditions NOT contributing to below is MVP (mital valve prolapse- a heart valve issue that I take 5mg of Bystolic for- 5yrs now) & also SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder I'll take 3mg Buspar for (Its an anxiety med that you take AS NEEDED but taking more for below DOES NOTHING to lessen symptoms fyi) and I've taken Buspar on & off since my oldest son went to college in '02)

*** SOB - Just two weeks in to (trying to) yawning to get full breath & HEAVY *sighing*. No true chest tightening although worry & concern definitely causes anxiety. TRUE CONNECTION between having ate & episode of yawning till DEEP yawn/breath relieves feeling of suffocation. Realized was more than likely oxygen deficiency on my own but didn't account for CO2 / Oxygen balance. Breathing thru nose; breath in, totally exhale, hold as long as you can, breath in, totally exhale, hold as long as you can & CONTINUE until you aren't focusing on it relieves yawning... Sighing remains & started breathing when I noticed. If light-headed/dizzy feeling occurs,  stop & start again a few minutes later. Yes it keeps me awake, yes I wake up with it happening but I think I breath fine while sleeping but when/if I wake up, I bring it on because its never far from my mind now. The longer/more I do the breathing exercises I described or the Hava in the post throughout described the LESS I YAWN and in time TRULY believe my CO2/Oxygen balance is working towards resetting. Seems to be common sense medically. The Chronic Hyperventilating Syndrome would be its medical diagnosis; most of us can understand the anxiety diagnosis but my belief is that the CHS LEADS to our anxiety BECAUSE WE CAN'T get a breath of air. Heading to a doctor and simply having your CO2/Oxygen checked regularly if possible to get SEE AND INFORMING THEM OF YOUR DIRE SEARCH FOR ANSWERS AND YOUR FINDINGS may work... if yr doctor is arrogant & prideful & thinks he is God and you SURELY can not 'self-diagnose' then calmly say, "I'm not over-thinking or reaching,  I CAN NOT BREATH RIGHT, and I've researched it for weeks, lost work hours, missed family commitments & invested time more than this 10 minutes with you sir/ma'm & I believe my symptoms are not allergies, asthma, anxiety and in the post I've found which is 6yrs long of 98% similar descriptions encompasses every other search & diagnosis after a total waste of time & resources doing extensive medical testing, even holistic remedies of which ALL seem not to 100% fix or cure. Chronic Hyperventilating Syndrome sounds TOO SIMPLE to be IT but ALL OF US HAVE SAME/98% SIMILAR SYMPTOMES!! So PLEASE doctor, before starting to rule out thousands of medical procedures & tests spending thousands of dollars, can YOU invest YOUR TIME THAT I AM PAYING FOR & can we PLEASE start here because I need your help!" I am sure ya'll can negotiate with your own doctor but if your doctor is an arrogant butt then FIND ANOTHER...even if its an urgent care & explain about yr doctor because it IS hard to get into a new doctor,  specially with insurance network guidelines and such. I go by MyMichelet on the most popular social network n also internet mail sites with google I will create a page on the social network called Chronic Hyperventilating Syndrome SOB / Yawning today so look for it. START YOUR BREATHING TREATMENTS ASAP and RESIST yawning by swallowing...you KNOW you CAN breath so change up HOW you have been breathing as it seems we are breathing TOO MUCH and that has offset our CO2/Oxygen balance!!! It DOES seem TOO SIMPLE but unfortunately it is NOT simple to fix,  it will take TIME, CONSISTENCY & BEING DILIGENT to even out the imbalance...the time it takes seems longer based on how long you have experienced the symptoms...DO NOT BE ALARMED if you have dealt with this for a long time and now actually DO have anxiety issues. Believe! Mind over matter and allow one to elevate the other!!! This takes TIME! DEDICATE YOURSELF TO THE TIME IT TAKES!
Respectfully yawning & gasping with you,
MyMichelet
Professionally undiagnosed sufferer of Chronic Hyperventilating Syndrome :)
I will comment to myself the posts I've come across where a specific diagnosis was found & the posters info & date as I find most relative as this thread is SO LONG & I screenshot about a dozen pertinent posts. ..
therockhound
Nov 15, 2011
To: worked for me
I was having the same SOB, chest pain, fatigue...generally just a feeling of not being able to get a breath in.  I had a PFT test (came back fine), went to an allergy doctor who ruled out asthma (because I was not having problems exhaling, I was only having problems on inhalation and my lungs were clear as a bell/no cough).  My simple answer was GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), heartburn.  The ironic part was I didn't get any "burn".  So, simply put I had heartburn, with NO burn.  I would get the other symptoms (chest pain, difficulty swallowing and shortness of breath).  I was put on dexilant which worked awesome, but my insurance company will not pay for it anymore due to the expense.  I had to switch to Protonix which seems to be working just as good..  My doctor told me the OTC heart burn meds were not strong enough to take care of this and a stronger Rx was required.  After just 5 days on this medicine, I'm as good as gold. NO symptoms left :)  Might be worth checking into for some people, I would of never thought in a million years I had heartburn...but like I said ALL my symptoms are now gone
i would like to hear more about the recommended breathing that i have heard so much about. I cannot find your earlier post.I have been experiencing the yawning and shortness of breath for over a year now. I have had multiple tests done ranging from stress tests and having actual pictures of my heart to CT scans. Nobody has a clue. It was also recommended to start taking antidepressants . I refuse to do that as this happens periodically and most often when i have too much time on my hands.
Thanks in advance Hava.
I want to post that not only did I stop the Bystolic (heart meds) for one week, but also have not taken any Buspar (anxiety) for 2 days and laying in bed just realized I haven't thought of this issue ALL DAY... came across this page to write I traveled to eat Texas to get my 18 mth old grandson yesterday,  drove back Houston area last night and just NOW had a breathing 'issue) while writing this!!! And yawning for goodness sakes!  Mind over matter my friends!  Keep breathing they yr noses and involve yourself in something you do not normally do to obsess over... I am grateful for the day I didn't realize I want gasping even if tomorrow is all returned, I have hope!  Prayers to you all!  Also created FB page,  come on over!
I have been having this SOB for more than 2 years. I didn't take it very seriously because at some point, for about 3 months, it actually stopped, and I was aware of it. But then it started again. During a quick consultation with doctor, without any tests done, she said that it is common especially when your stomach is full of gas. It pushes the lungs so you have this feeling of SOB. But the SOB stays even after I took some antacid.

Only until last month I went to see the doctor to do proper test, after one of friend noticed my SOB. I never thought that it was that obvious. I got diagnosed (by an internist) with emphysema even though the spirometry test does not confirm it. I wasn't happy and went to see pulmonologist to get second opinion. Looking at the same test (X-ray and spiro, and even blood test and ECG), he said I was fine. Especially with the fact that I do sports (running and soccer) quite in a frequent manner without any difficulties to breath (exercise does indeed make me feel better!). The doctor said it was only in my head. It was more stress-related. I was relieved but at the same time not satisfied. I don't easily get stressed and I don't find myself stressed.

I will go to see a pulmonologist again and will probably get some tests done. Only a couple of days ago I came across this forum, which symptoms describe exactly what I have been feeling! Frequent urge to take deep breath, sighing, failed yawning. I was actually content to finally figure out the reason (if not exactly, at least it is the closest) of this SOB. I have been doing this Buteyko method this past 2-3 days (unfortunately you can't really find a comprehensive exercise in youtube), and trying to breath only through my nose. It does actually help! I have been able to resist the need to gasp for more air. It was difficult on day 1. I feel like I was getting ill (feels like I got mild fever). But it gets better actually. I will even try to do some exercise (maybe running, fast-walking or going up the stairs) with my mouth closed, as suggested by a video. I wonder if anyone knows if there's any side effect to this Buteyko method. I mean what I should be cautious about when doing the exercise. I really don't want to do it wrongly so that it cancels out the benefits.
hi. i found this forum by googling my issue, yawning a lot and SOB. it's kinda comforting to know i'm not the only one struggling here. the first time i noticed having SOB was mid 2009. i was living my normal everyday life, then out of no where, i had really bad SOB. i almost went to the ER but it got better after like 30-60 minutes. it's happened on and off since then only lasting a day or two. but now i've had it for over a week and i'm yawning like every few minutes. it usually happens more so at night when i lay down for bed, but it happens also throughout the day. i've read it could be many thing and haven't yet went to the doctors for help. i'm not sure actually which type of doctor to go to first. i don't have a normal doctor i go to. should i try a primary care? or the hospital? i was on an anti-depressant the beginning of this year which caused me to stop breathing in my sleep. i woke up gasping for air, feeling dizzy and confused. i was taken off the medicine but i now as get freaked out about not being able to breathe at night. could it just be anxiety causing my yawning and SOB? i know when i yawn it usually helps the SOB for a moment but then it comes right back. i've been yawning so much lately i almost feel like i'm going to throw up now when i make big yawns.
I would ask for a heavy metal toxicity test ...we are all being bombarded with aerial spraying, I am sure you can see the extraordinary skies, they have in fact said they are spraying toxins ,it is possible many of us are allergic to the stuff they spray ...look it up .anyway that's my theory now ...good luck   look at the video 'What on earth are they spraying'
Thanks for your thorough comments. I find running and bikram yoga to help a lot.

1 hour of running a day that's your medicine.
Hi Salghu, may I ask how you run? How far, how fast, how you breath when you run.
I am a 61 year old clinical psychologist specializing in the treatment of anxiety disorders.  First, I'm glad to find this site.  For as long as I can remember I've experienced mild SOB which is relieved by yawning (I have very little, if any, anxiety associated with this).  I've asked a handful of physicians about it but none had experienced it themselves, nor had patients who complained of it.  There are, of course, many different medical conditions that result in SOB, including anxiety disorders and pulmonary disease.  Some posts on this site suggest panic attacks.  I recommend looking up the DSM criteria for panic attacks and other anxiety disorders and, if one meets criteria, seek treatment with a clinical psychologist who uses cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  However my primary interest is in the actual experience of the satisfying sense of a deep breath one achieves through yawning, or through a regular deep breath that does produce that feeling.  I've noticed that the volume of air taken in is not necessarily related to achieving that feeling.  I wonder if the feeling is a function of something (diaphragm, or bronchi) relaxing?  Have any of the readers been told, definitively, what happens physiologically to produce that satisfying feeling?  And I'm not talking about the chronic SOB which accompanies COPD, asthma, etc., just the phenomenon of having the SOB sensation be relieved by yawning.
Thanks a lot. Will try the Buteyko method and hope it works for me.
I am suffering from the problem from October 2014. I was medicated for asthama.but didnt work.  then i tried ayurveda. even its not helping.
let me try this method.
thanks a lot
THANK YOU.BECAUSE OF THIS I CANT SLEEP OR ENJOY BOOKS. HOPEFULLY THIS WORKS.
I am a singer. I am suffering from pleurisy and mild pneumonia, had scans and there's fluid on the right lung... Was feeling better with rest, difficult when having a lovely 8 yr old daughter...... Anxiety has been getting worse..... I struggle in the morning especially waking with the pain.... I go to sleep fine but feel like I'm waking up a lot earlier cause of the pain..... So I was getting better, Ive cancelled gigs and had 1 gentle gig to do 2 days ago, the morning after the symptoms of sharp pain and annoying unsatisfactory breathing has been coming back... I've ordered high dose vit c to get into the bloodstream, liquid form and seeing how that will work. 2000mg a day. Would love to take more a day..... Looked into the buteyko method and not breathing as deeply as I usually do, shorter smaller breaths, but how will this help when I need to breathe deeply for singing.... Any help please? Will I feel these pains all the time now? Lovely comments from everyone
My little story, I was so scared I thought I had lung cancer.
I suddenly noticed I was yawning a lot but was not always able to get a full yawn which made me yawn more, one night went to bed I was stressed , family issues, and found I was gasping for breath , I was constantly yawning but coudnt get that full yawn, I decided I must rush myself to the hospital as I thought I was dying, horrible feeling being out of breath, anyway got up at 3 in the morning took the dog for a walk returned home slept on the settee,
Woke up my breathing was fine until I realised my previous nights issues, started yawning again! I was confused why was I ok immediately after waking up but as soon as I thought about the night before I started yawning again.
Anyway I googled my problem which put me onto numerous forums, what I
Relief I wasn't on my own, and I may not be dying of lung cancer, I read through and found some breathing technieces which I researched and watched on you tube, I have been using these for 3 days now and feel loads better, still have a need to yawn on occasions but feel confident I'm getting better.
I must say I'm a strong person never had these problems before always feel stressed with sales work, recently been extra stressed with my 17 yo sons, I've also been going the gym to get fit, may be the combination of all these things that started my breathing problem , not really sure.
Anyway to all out their this is horrible but very fixable with the breathing technieces, thank you to all whom has aired their stories as without reading these I would be in a very dark place now, hence my imput.
Best health.
Thank you for this input reading it and watching some breathing videos on YouTube has really really helped me get better.

Good health.
I had this problem for over a year when I was 32-33.  I've had it only sporadically a few times since.  Until about 6 weeks ago I started having it much more frequently.  The cause may well be anxiety in my case, as I have been experiencing recent financial stress.  When I was 32-33 I saw no relationship to stress but I recall viewing 33 as 'mid -30s=middle age', and being dissatisfied with my status in life.  

While I almost never seem to be able to equate an increase in immediate symptoms with anything other than thinking about the problem (SOB), I do think that underlying stress may well be a major contributor to my problem ALTHOUGH I wouldn't say it has to be anxiety-related.  That's because I notice that hard exercise and lack of sleep seem to make it worse, and relaxing forgetting about the condition make it improve.  Maybe some of us simply have a 'stress' threshold at which when we go above it this is how our bodies respond.  Just a thought.  Best to all.
I have read through this whole thread, from the beginning. I believe what I have to say will help many people here. I have struggled with the same thing since I've been in child, I am now 26 years old. When I was 13 years old, I would lie awake in bed nearly all night, several days in a row. I feel like I could not breathe, I had the tendency to yawn and after yawning would feel better momentarily, but then it would get worse. My parents took me to the doctor, I was tested for asthma. I was also given allergy testing, but nothing worked. I did not have asthma, but the doctor gave me a sample inhaler. I tried to use it, but the problems persisted.

This is where the story gets interesting. I live in Kansas City, and several family friend highly recommended a nutritional doctor here by the name of Doctor Novak. He was trained as a chiropractor, but he also had an interesting practice of which I have not been able to find the name. I don't believe it is practiced any longer, but this gentleman nearly save my life on several occasions. Within this practice, the doctor will wear a belt and attached to the center of the belt (where you would see a belt buckle normally) is mounted a special instrument. It's flat, but in the shape of a circle. The doctor would ask you to lay on the table, and with one hand would dip into a pouch and touch a powder, with the same consistency of climbing chalk. He would then rub the instrument on the belt with the same hand the touch the powder, and with the other hand he would touch different areas of your body. Sometimes he would ask you to cross your arms, or keep your arm separate of each other on the side of the table, same with your feet. My understanding is that through this practice, the doctors able to get heat readings off of your organs, and these he readings are used to measure the positive to negative polarity, and whether it's off-balance. It sounds weird, but like I said this doctor is nearly save my life on several occasions.

The particular day I went in with the breathing issues, the doctor proceeded with standard tests. Measuring the state of each of my organs. My liver/gallbladder was underperforming, was out of whack regarding polarity.

Doctor Novak instructed me to cut down on my fat intake immediately, start juicing and stay away from bred and sugar as long as possible. I was a 13-year-old kid, I never juiced anything in my life... My mom helped me change the diet. Within about 2 months of a very strict diet, the symptoms completely went away.

Fast forward to my mid 20s, started to eat poorly again. In fact I had been eating poorly for years. I started to have symptoms again, but this time in addition to shortness of breath I also was dizzy, experienced chest tightness, and back pain. My tonsils also started to become swollen, but not infectious. On one occasion, the symptoms were bad enough that I decided to go to the emergency room. After running several tests, monitoring my heart for sometime, and pumping me with meds they were not able to tell what was wrong. I wondered if perhaps I was experiencing something related to what I had experienced years ago when I was 13 years old. I did a lot of research online, and thought it would be a good idea for myself to get tested for Gerd. I had a scope down my throat, I'm sure enough I had acute esophagitis. Pretty standard for someone with GERD.

The doctors tried to put me on a PPI. After doing a lot of research, I'm looking at natural routes. I realized, Gerd for many people is the byproduct of an underperforming gallbladder. Body can't handle fats, acid just build up in your stomach. Nicotine and caffeine can also play a large role in Gerd symptoms. (I had noticed that with both nicotine and caffeine, my breathing symptoms would get worse)

The original diagnosis of my gallbladder when I was 13 years old was still the problem as a 25 year old. I change my eating again, I cut out nicotine and all coffee (still kept green tea but not black) and it took about 3 months. All symptoms were gone.

I believe it's the root issue, it really incorporated all of your comments. Anxiety and stress play into GERD. You can do breathing exercises to help control the symptoms, but anxiety is not the root. Some of you said sleep, lack of sleep also plays a big role in GERD, and also mental stability which affects stress, which effects GERD. Its a tangled web. It's perfectly normal to feel anxious when you can't breath. To those of you who have felt this, you can tell something isn't quite right in your body. When doctors can't tell you what's up, that's when things can start to feel little bit anxious.

The cool thing is the body is really smart, and with the right things it can fix itself. Do something drastic, go on a diet for someone with gallbladder disease (i'm not saying you have gallbladder disease, but this is the best diet you can go on if it is an issue with your gallbladder). Do it for three months and see if you're symptoms decrease.

Best of luck to you all.
I just want to ask hows everybody? Im experiencing this shortness of breath and excessive  yawning for years, i was reading almost all the poat here and i can get a clear idea, some says anxiety, acid reflux, hyperventilation, problem with carbon dioxide.level but more says they dont know what it is . How's everybody? Please.share your success story, share the things that helped you !
Sounds exactly like me.  Whatever happened?
I am 69 and this SOB has me worried sick. Inhalers are useless. And I'm at my wits end.
I have been having difficulty breathing fo all my life since I was 9. I remember vividly when it all started. It was during PE classes when we all played soccer. In the middle I felt shortness of breath and I was brought To the nurse by my teacher   who sent me home and I don't remember what happened afterwards. It was another episode when we were at the Girl Scouts and one of the girls had an epilepsy episode.  I get so scared that I was rushed to the hospital that night because I couldn't breathe. Dr. said that I got scared and that's why I couldn't breathe because everything all the tests showed nothing. Ever since it would be worse before I got my period every month. I was also bulimic so when I was eating and vomiting I would feel constantly shortness of breath. In the past four years I have been lit reading a lot about hypoglycemia and I have learned that eating every three hours might solve the problem. It really did for me. I now have so much less of the shortness of breath. I wouldn't say it has been gone forever because I also exercise and walk in when I exercise I have to increase the carbs amount that I'm taking and I'm not really taking enough because I don't want to gain weight. That triggers the shortness of breath again in my case. Also stress contributes a lot. So whoever reads it , it might be worth the try to eat right every 2-3 hours in small quantities so your blood sugar doesn't suffer ups and downs. Good luck people. I am so happy to find out that I am not the only one
I am 22 female, and i have also been having the similar type of problem the only thing thatbscares me is the fact that i started smoking a few years back but this problem started only 10-12 days before..i thought that maybe it is due to congestion and it would go away as soon as my throat clears out but nothing seems to be helping me.. i'm very scared i don't want COPD or Emphysema or any other lung disease.. but i have not experienced any other symptoms relating to these diseases as such coughing or coughing out blood or pain while inhaling or exhaling.. i really don't know what it is ..this problem is neither getting better nor worse
Viewing 201-246 comments: