Respiratory Disorders Community
shortness of breath/frequent yawning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 201-228 comments:
Im 12 and this breathing problem happened this summer and its still happening and the doctors tested me everything and everything seems fine but now they are treating me for acid reflex it seems to help alot but not  fullly.
I am 21 years old and I have been struggling with this for a few years now, I have noticed that I only have SOB straining while I yawn when I am stressed out or anxious, When I play a video game and keep myself distracted it never happens, but when i'm trying to read or do homework It happens like crazy and I literally cannot stay focused to save my life, it's seriously one of thee most annoying things I've had to deal with next to having a floater in my left eye, My best advice would be to try and build cardio to build your lung capacity, I used to be in amazing shape, could run a 7 min mile and was very fit, I don't remember ever having this problem, now i'm out of shape, can barely run 5 mins without getting exhausted and am having SOB like crazy, I hope theres a cure to this :*(, It seriously makes my ADHD 10000x worse :*(
To all looking for answers - already posted the solution in this forum. Look at my earlier posts and see how  Itsokimok has already benefited. It is about expelling the old air from your lungs and let oxygen get in.
I was having the same SOB, chest pain, fatigue...generally just a feeling of not being able to get a breath in.  I had a PFT test (came back fine), went to an allergy doctor who ruled out asthma (because I was not having problems exhaling, I was only having problems on inhalation and my lungs were clear as a bell/no cough).  My simple answer was GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), heartburn.  The ironic part was I didn't get any "burn".  So, simply put I had heartburn, with NO burn.  I would get the other symptoms (chest pain, difficulty swallowing and shortness of breath).  I was put on dexilant which worked awesome, but my insurance company will not pay for it anymore due to the expense.  I had to switch to Protonix which seems to be working just as good..  My doctor told me the OTC heart burn meds were not strong enough to take care of this and a stronger Rx was required.  After just 5 days on this medicine, I'm as good as gold. NO symptoms left :)  Might be worth checking into for some people, I would of never thought in a million years I had heartburn...but like I said ALL my symptoms are now gone.
Ive had these same ongoing symptoms since I was ten. I was given an inhaler, it wouldn't help, and the SOB would go away. It wasnt until I went to a new doctor while I was in college that I was told it was likely anxiety, which seems to make a lot of sense when I look back at times when I experienced the symptoms. The doc told me that an inhaler is a stimulant and will make SOb tht is not asthma related worse!!
So glad I found this thread. I am 53 and have had the yawning problem since about halfway through college. I believe it is absolutely stress-related: just because you don't think you're stressed doesn't mean your body shares your illusion. It is exacerbated by anything that makes you nervous or amps you up, like caffeine, and by acid reflux and things that cause acid reflux: nicotine, smoking, caffeine again, alochol, carbonated beverages, foods that are spicy and fatty (like pepperoni). Some people report that eliminating sugar and refined carbs, especially wheat, helps. I've had the problem long before I ever had any acid reflux problems, though (and some people think the yawning thing actually can cause acid reflux--chicken or egg?).

What to do:
1) Try Hava's breathing techniques (March 18 2010 post). Seriously.
2) Don't smoke. Why would anyone smoke? It's ridiculous. OK, I smoke, but am down to 4/day this week, quit date December 15 wishes me luck.
3) Take up yoga. It'll help you in a gazillion different ways. I think it's best to practice with an instructor, but doing it in front of the TV with a yoga DVD works too. At very least, do some stretching every day.
4) Be more active. Exercise every day, even if it's just walking a mile (a good start but if that's all you can do, see if you can work up), throwing a ball around, vaccuming, or dancing in your living room.
5) Like yourself better. Appreciate yourself more. If you need some inspiration, commit a random act of kindness to an unsuspecting individual (I sometimes anonymously pick up dog poop on people's yards--but occasionally someone will burst out of the house and exclaim, which is also good).
6) Try to spend time each day with somone you like and trust, and/or listen to a radio station that makes you laugh (if that's NPR, your problems are worse than I feared...)
7) If you haven't already, tell your doctor about it. If you're like me, and many posting here, you'll occasionally be sure you're dying. Get relevant tests and you won't worry as much
8) Take lorazepam or similar drug when you think you need it (but if you think you need it more than a couple of times a week, this is probably not a great solution for you.
Hello, I am a 24 year old Male.  I finally decided to research his condition after suffering from it for about a year or 2 now. And I an so comforted to read some of your experiences and stories.  I sometimes feel like when i try to get a full breath normally that i only get about 75% of what I should, so I cause myself to yawn to try to "suck-in" that last 25%.  Sometimes(maybe 1 out of 50) I will actually get that full satisfying breath from yawning but for the most part it just makes me worry more because I am now focusing on tryin to get that full breath, but cant.  Alot of time the SOB is acompanied with a burp, and it may be gross to some people but like w/ the yawning, burping actually does seem to help out sometimes.     I was diagnosed with asthma when I was young, and have experienced Chronic Bronchitis several time bnut this condition is differant because it is just about all the time for me.  I do worry about my health a lot because i feel that I constantly have throat and lung problems.  I also get the feeling sometimes that there is something stuck in my throat, but when I go to cough it out nothing will come out.  I have a hard time breathing through my nose on a day to day basis, mostly because I used alot of drugs when I was younger and snorting them did irriversable damage I think.  I am however clean now and have been for almost 3 years now, but this SOB thing is driving me nuts.  I read on here that some people have changed their diets and it helped bc the sob was bc of acid re-flux.  Im pretty sure that is what I am experiencing because I always feel acid coming up in my throat and am not currently treating it daily.  I usually jus eat a tums or something to temp. relieve the symptoms.  I think the SOB may also be from stress for me too because not being able to feel like I am breathing right can cause me anxiety.  I also have put on a bit of weight over the last year or so and that sometimes causes me to worry or even feel some depression.    wow i know i just rambled on for a while there but i really want to thank all of you out there who took the time to discuss this condition. I know longer feel alone, thanks :D
i have the same thing as a matter fact im going thru it right now and i jus took a apralozam but its only .25mg lmao it barely does anything  but it is anxiety ...ANXIETY!!!!!! sux...i get palpitations, trouble breathing, left arm and left leg numbness, i always think its my heart or sleep apnea or some serious condition but everything comes out fine i get high blood pressure as well my heart beats faster then normal and i dont know why this all began but it has and some people are able to cope with these kind of things better then others and trust me i have tons of more symptoms as well so cheer up and try your best, also look up (panic disorder or g.a.d) they come and go whenever they please wether your anxious or not oh and by the way i can all of a sudden breathe finally, soooo good luck try eatn healthy drink a lot of water and fruits and sleep right believe it a not your pillolw can actually be a cause as well so dont sleep too little nor too much and relax ;) take it from some one who is going thru these symptoms as we speak and somone who goes to a cardiologist AND sees a therapist but at the same time if u feel like u need to see a doc then by all means do w.e u feel is right
heyy I have the exact same problems as you and i wanted to know what you found out about it? if anything? thank you!
Hey I have the same symptoms but i dont smoke a little weed now and then but ive quit that. have you found anything out about what it is
While standing in a company meeting about 5 days ago I suddenly noticed that I had to yawn constantly to catch that one breath. I started yawning almost continuously for that one breath (which use to "happen" once in about 4-5 time). I was going crazy with it throughout the day. Next day I went to an Allergist and has my Pulmonary test done (slightly less than average). Doctor did some allergy test as well and said I had Asthma (and an allergy to Dust mites). I was given an Inhaler (Albuterol Sulfate) and a slow-release version (Advair Diskus 100/50).

However, I also noticed that I didn't had any problem during sleep (never woke up for breathe, etc). Felt like whenever I was preoccupied with something else, my breathing would be Ok, but as soon as I am little free - I will gasp for breathe, and start yawning to catch that "Single breath"

The problem was that Inhaler didn't soothe me a single bit. If it was Asthma and my pulmonary tract was blocked, then Inhaler should work instantly and relieve me. I went through same symptom for about 2 more days, and was going really crazy. I started researching on net, and came across this post, read them all, and started trying the exercise suggested by few (Buteyko method)  - And it worked like a MIRACLE!! BELIEVE ME - I was miserable for 5 days (and every second seem like hell), but when I tried the breathing exercise, it helped me like crazy!!

The basic hypothesis is - You are feeling short of breath NOT because you cannot breathe (you actually can), but because you are breathing too fast (and too much). This leads to lack of CO2 in blood (yes CO2 is important for delivery of oxygen to blood), which leads to blood cell being starved for oxygen, and thus we breathe even faster and thus exhale even more CO2 - a VISCIOUS CYCLE. You MUST break it. Increasing your "Control Pause" time is an ideal way for this (please google for these terms: "Buteyko method" and "Control pause" - you will find enough resources to help you get started). The idea is to breathe less (both in quantity and frequency), exhale out and then hold for some time before going again (and do not breathe too much next time either). All breathing exercises mentioned in this post will help you (including hava's pranayam technique, etc).
i have been having shortness of breath and constantly yawning since last year september. this has been a daily occurrence. did ct scan chest exray md cant find anything. went to a pulmonologist yesterday, did pulmonary function test they said i have small airway obstruction usually seen with asthma i was given beclomethasone oral inhaler and it does seemto help.
I agree that its chronic hyperventilation ,because this is the second time that i had the shortness of breath with alot of yawing , and it happens after a hypertension attack and last for a few weeks the last time the docter gave me anxiety pills and it helped , now im taking allergy pill because the anti histamine helps bring your breathing back to normal and calms you down so you wont overbreath even to those who are now aware their doing it
Hava,
        I am sitting here gasping for air reading the posts.I have had a breathless problem for two months now with an occasional pain in my right side.Making myself burp also makes me feel better. I undertake yoga once a week & i do feel better after a session,i also have no discomfort lying down or at night when sleeping.While reading through the posts i was doing the alternate nostril breathing & i am instanly feeling better. I iwll continue & get back to you.
Thnak you Hava
i am a 24 year old male i have not been dealing with sob all my life or for years or nything i do remember as a kid taking these breaths every now n again but never several times a day saturday i busted my a** n the heat all day felt fine until i came home then all of the sudden feel the sob and start doing the yawning and everything as well i finally get it to subside after a couple hours and get to sleep only to wake up the next morning feeling fine for about an hour or two and then it was back so i decided to go to the er where they ran ct scan of my brain chest xrays and blood and urine tests the only thing they could find for sure was an arythmia in my heart and referred me to a cardiologist which i cant get in to see for a couple weeks the er dr suggested anxiety and prescribed me some very low dose xanax which helps me not flip out so bad about it but it doesnt take it away i continue to do so it now day 3 of this feeling and i just tried the breathing nostrils technique recommended above and almost immediately they did start to help but comes back after i quit  i am unsure what the deal is but i can definetily say feeling like this definetily does not help the anxiety levels glad im not the only person to experience this what baffled me the most when i was hooked to the monitor my o2 levels where fine so i guess im actually not losing air and am getting enough it just doesnt feel right idk been flippin out about it tho i want answers hopefully this heart dr can tell me more
I am a 27 year old female and have the same SOB symptoms. Always trying to yawn to get a deep breath. It started in October 2009 and lasted for a couple of weeks. But that time I was very stressed, going through a bad breakup. Then 2 years later it happened again only this time I wasn't depressed I was in a middle of having a Thanksgiving dinner with my family. Same symptoms just SOB, lasted for a couple of weeks again, then went away for 5 months and now came back again. Now I am scared since I have no idea what it is, and I have been to so many different doctors. They don't know either. First time they gave me asthma inhalers, I was using them daily and no effect. Second time I went to ER they gave me meds for GERD and I took them but they made me nauseous  so I stoped taking them. Now I went to check my heart, everything was good so  the doc said it was anxiety. But I am not stressed nor depressed. I went to check my lungs had the breathing test and x ray and oxygen tested, x ray was good, oxygen was good, breathing test was ok that's what the doc said but it could be better. But I was really SOB while doing the test. So she gave me inhalers again. Used them no change at all. Now next week I am going to check my stomach and then will get a CT scan of my lungs. Those are the only tests I didn't do. So hopefully whatever it is , We will all find the reason and get it treated and live very long healthy lifes. Wishing everyone Health and Love  
P.S. I'll keep you posted after my tests.
I am 46 years old and from May to end of July I too have SOB. Had allergy tests done, chest x-rays, beathing tests. I quit smoking 15 years ago because I thought it was causing my SOB. Nope, still get every year except last year. Didn't have one episode last spring. This year it started up again, so I thought the saline spray I was using last year was the cure. I started using it again and the SOB went away for a week, but has now come back again. This is very frustrating, but I now it will disappear in 6 weeks. I just wish I could figure out why.
Here is your ANSWER ANSWER ANSWER ANSWER:

I really should have come back to this chat forum earlier since it helped me so much..... I have had this problem off and on for 10 years.  Would only last days or sometimes weeks and go away of its on accord.  But in Oct 2011 it started up again and never went away.  Even now I battle a bit at times but Im SO MUCH BETTER.

To get to the point,  whats gonna help you all is this.  BUTEYKO.
I found a site that told me how to do it, FREE with worksheets. Unfortunately I cannot find it anymore.  But here's another with a bit of INFO  
http://www.normalbreathing.com/learn.php
And the reason I know Buteyko works is because I can almost guarantee every one of you has chronic hyperventilation syndrome.  For more info on this  a site is
http://www.curehyperventilation.com/hyperventilation

Now you can google both BUTEYKO and Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome to see what you find.

Just please take my word for it.  I was real bad 6 months ago.  Ended up on antidepressants and to be honest I wanted to die because I felt like I constantly couldn't breath.  I got all the tests done, all normal. Went on asthma medication but it barely helped.  Ended up having the most horrible panic attacks.  Even looking at my beautiful children couldn't pull me out of the slump i was in because I COULDN"T BREATHE like you all.  The thing is, the longer you leave it, the worse it gets (unless you accidentally start holding ya breath and breathing less, in which case it will eventually come right.  This is what i was doing all the other times).
I can tell you,  doing the BUTEYKO exercises, you will feel better in less than a week.  Its not easy but at least it's an answer.  Depending on how bad you are ( how much ya co2 and oxygen levels are out of whack) you could be 'fixed' within a week, 2 weeks, a month.  
I still fight the urge to breathe deep, after all I've been breathing this way for 10 years +.  But at least I know what to do now.
Also follow HAVA'S advice (on this forum, thankyou hava) and do the pranyama stuff, or alternate nostril breathing if you will. Its very hard to overbreathe when you are only breathing through one nostril.
I wish you all the best of luck.  I was in the worst way I have been in all my life when going through this.  I hope that some of you listen and try this.  I KNOW it will help.  I had to figure it out by myself, doctors didn't help much, trips to the ER, and counselling.... no good.  I also recommend if you are going through anxiety or panic attacks (this breathing problem took me down that road) take a look at the LINDEN METHOD. Its awesome!!  Feel free to ask me anything. =)  Take care
hey lorisnails I was wondering if, after some years, are you still having those problems? I have the same thing and it started 9 months ago. I'm a 23 year old male, and I also tried an asthma pump (did nothing), anti acid pills (did nothing), chest x-ray and echocardiogram are fine. I have to say that it started on the day after I smoked 2 cigarrettes in a row and started some diet pills. I stopped the pills since then and have been without smoking for periods of 2 months and it's the same or worse. Thanks
Can u relate the hyperventilation with the fact it gets worse after we eat? And with the fact that when I wake up I feel as a NORMAL person, breathing in and out and taking as many deep breaths as I want?
I wonder if this case is more serious than we think but medicine has not identified it yet.  Does anyone know if this could be a mild symptoms of mild idiopathic pulmonary embolism which dissolves spontaneously hence the episodic nature.  Between 5 and 20 percent of people have a thrombophilic condition due to factor V Leiden mutation.  I wonder if anyone knows if people diagnosed with hyperventilation syndrome (or misdiagnosed) have been followed up for a long term to see if their PE rate or death from PE rate increased with age?  Or have these people ever been put on blood thinners to assess effect on the symptoms?
Hi everyone, I know these are old posts, but I wanted to respond because I am having the same issues with my breathing. I have had this since I was about 17 yrs. old. I have also been diagnosed with different things just like you. It is so darn annoying to try to catch a breath that it gets to be frustrating and then I do get anxiety from not being able to breath. I am going to the doctor Aug. 16th for a stress test and x-ray, so we will see what they say. If you smoke everything is blamed on that. I know it's probably the biggest problem, but I also know people with this that has never smoked. I hope we can find some help. If anyone out there finds out what this is and recovers let me know. Thanks Chris  
I have had these problems as a small child. My parents took me to the hospital and had x-rays and breathing test done. They could not find anything wrong with my lungs. I have noticed that my triggers normally happen after eating or drinking ANYTHING for any sort of stadium, like football games, soccer games, concerts or if I drink from a waxed paper cup from a fast food chain. Most drinks at concerts come from the wax paper cups but I have learned to stay away them so I would drink bottled water instead. This past week I ate a chicken strip basket and had a beer and noticed only minutes after eating the chicken strip basket my problems started. The actual basket was one of those paper kind and it had a piece of paper the chicken laid in. I have looked into this several times and the only think I have found is that most wax paper cups and plates have formaldehyde in them. Maybe I have a severe allergic reaction to formaldehyde?
Sorry my late reply.  We use more oxygen when we eat, it aids digestion.  So I went through a couple of months where i barely ate a thing, lost ALOT of weight, because I couldnt eat as I struggled to breathe.  I did find it was worse with carbohydrates and caffeine. Once I started Buteyko I was afraid to neat, but over time as I got "better", I noticed I wasn't struggling to breathe when I eat so much, and eventually not at all.  And I would be good alot of mornings too, I think because my breathing patterns would normalise in the night.  Then in the day, when I felt short of breath, I'd deep breathe (or try to) and start the vicious cycle all over again.  I went through nearly every symptom mentioned in this forum (I read every single one) and I also thought it had to be something more.  But in the end it was Chronic Hyperventilation triggered by Anxiety (evenly though outwardly you wouldn't have thought I was an anxious stressed person).  
I wouldn't have accepted this self diagnosis if I hadn't experienced swuch quick results in doing Buteyko and reading the Linden Method (to get the root of the anxiety problem i didn't believe I had lol).

I hate to see people suffering, I know exactly how you all feel. I hope that this helps and you all get better .

P.S  I still have bad days now, but I know what to do about it, and every time it works =)
I had many of the same symptoms as everyone else.  I started using Dexilant last year and it has worked like magic.  I was having heartburn without the burn.  Symptoms were SOB, feeling like I couldn't get a full breath in.  Exhaling was fine, just on the inhale.  Allergy test, chest X-Rays, PFT test....all that came back fine.  I ended up getting an Rx for Dexilant (1 pill in the morning when you get up) and within 5 days I was fine.  It's been almost 8 months symptom free for me.  Worth a try for others..
I had the same symptoms, I tried a combination of Benadryl & bronchial dilator, it goes away.  Ongoing I am taking herbal lung support and allergy homeopathic remedies.
I've had allergies for years but I do not take the shots anymore ever since I quit taking them I've been using an inhaler and that's been going on 20 years I have a hard time breathing everyday....the inhaler is the only thing that helps but doesn't work all the time for instance last night I hit that thing about 7 times....and yes I'm also allergic to cats  
and I have 6 of them so I guess I'm a ******* but they been with me forever the problem also occurs when I'm not at home I work out also and
sometimes it happens at the gym ...a Doctor did
tell me 1 time that I have hyper bronchial tubes I
don't know probably a combination of things
and also after I eat many times I feel very bloated and the breathing gets worse
bloating is probably caused by candida. it ferments glucose and that creates gasses. try eating a zero-carb meal and see if there's bloating and breathing issues after that. no carbohydrates = nothing to ferment = no bloating (or at least it will be minimal until the stomach heals itself).

but the main culprit behind the breathing/yawning issues is probably gluten intolerance.
I have this too and it makes going to school or simply hanging out with friends difficult. I always feel like I need to take a deep breath by inhaling with my mouth. I had this on and off since I was 10 but now I'm 18. This feeling also makes me dry nervous because I feel like I am on the verge of dying or worse I feel like it will never go away and I cannot live like this! In the past this was more bearable and I could live my normal life, I also would go away for certain periods of time...
Now I been having this for about 3 weeks severely and I can't seem to get any relief. I try the breathing exercises and they sometimes make me feel worse or the same. I really want this to leave me alone. It makes me not want to eat because I feel extra nervous eating while having this for some reason. I pray everyday for it to go away already.  
I had a really bad panic attack 3 weeks ago before this vicious cycle started and I guess that's what really set it off. I was at the ER and then the general doctor and the blood tests, EKGs, urine tests all came out normal except I lack vitamin d. They said its all in my head (anxiety related) and to see a psychiatrist. Funny thing is I don't feel stressed- this is actually whats making me anxious.... Anyways the psychiatrist said its severe anxiety and put me on 10 mg lexapro and said to take lorazepam when needed. The breathing problems are still there! Idk what the hell this medication is doing.... Sometimes I feel loss of appetite but idk if its from the MEds or my breathing. Idk what to do anymore and some days I try to remain hopeful and just suffer through it but others I feel like my only way out would be dying. I love my life tho and I don't wanna die but it's hard to be happy when you constantly physically FEEL like your suffocating..... My mind is stubborn and it won't leave me alone. I just want to breathe like a normal person. Once I'm asleep after much effort due to this bs I usually sleep for hours so its not like I can't breathe right, right? Idk. Once I wake up however it starts back immediately. This is like being in hell. It's a vicious, scary, uncomfortable cycle and there is only so much a person can take. I have a hard time believing I'm healthy even though they said I was and that my lungs sounded very clear. Sorry for this long rant but you guys are the only ones that may understand me. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated...also I have been eating very healthy, steamed chicken and veggies, naked juice, no candy. I'm on a diet and hoping weight loss will help but I have had this at 10 when I wasn't overweight so I dunno. Its getting worse and idk what to do. I just want to live my life I'm only 18 and I feel like I'm a 95 year old with extremely bad health. If you read all of this thank you very much. Oh and I don't smoke drink or do any illegal drugs.
Do any of you still have the same problem? Or have you found a cure? My husband had recently been going through the exact same thing & I'm worried.
thank you for this!!!  I have had sob, chest tightness and allergic asthma issues but no one could figure out what was going on, kept hearing allergies, until I couldn't swallow, had to clear my throat all the time, was constantly hoarse, etc -- minor heartburn that I ignored and then went to see an ent that confirmed very minor silent reflux and told me to start protonix, appreciate your post, was very fit and now the sob has kept me from doing anything and have been miserable for years trying to resolve it all
I've had the shortness of breath and yawning for over a year however I remember times from previous years when I had to constantly yawned for air but failed. For example I remember eating some cookie dough when I was 8 and my dad asked why I kept on yawning. I'm 13 years old, I maintain a healthy lifestyle which includes a-l-o-t of swimming, a bit of running and a healthy diet.
Lately I have also realised that I get even more short of breath pretty easily after I run for a second (to catch a bus for instance).. I have a tiny bit of OCD buts its nearly gone now but I don't think I have anxiety.  
I also get headaches very easily (in the past it was caused from dehydration but now I'm trying to drink a good amount of water a day and I still get alot of headaches). Thanks for your time!
I`m actually having the same observation, it gets worse on a full stomach and it gets easier to breath when the eating is not excessive.
Otherwise, I`m having the same symptoms: SOB, yawning to get air in and feeling that i can`t fill up that last 25-30% of my lungs.
I am 31, female and my problems started during high-school, gradually worsening.
I know Chinese medicine says trouble with the lungs comes from too much sadness.. maybe it`s true, maybe laughter and joyfulness are the cure. Anyway, I will try the breading techniques indicated, even though I think my main setback is the fact that i have a constantly obstructed &runny nose
This was very helpful.  Mine started at a very busy and stressful time at work.  Since I get full blood panels and workups every 3 months, I intend to find out what my pulse oximetry and other numbers are this month.  So narrowed down it could be stress and anxiety or it could be O2/CO2 levels.  I can deal with either of those much easier than my late stage 3b cancer diagnosis 5 years ago, There is a family history of COPD, emphysema, black lung, but that was environmental more that heredity.  Thanks for the helpful answers.  Best of luck, love and health to all my comrades in yawns and gasps.
I just saw a post you had about shortness of breath. I have had the same recurring issue for years...doctors were no help.  They always threw up their hands and said it must be stress.  I think I've finally found the reason.  Artificial sweetner! Asparteme, for sure.  I noticed that it would increase in the winter when I drank coffee, and became particularly bad if I added a diet soda in.  For years, I thought it was caffiene related, but there was no consistancy...at home I would drink a pot of coffee with no issues.  Well, at home, I drink my coffee black.  At work, I use artificial sweetner.  I also found that Fiber One, my favorite cereal, contains artificial sweetner.  So do the mints I eat, and other "diet" foods.  When I looked through my daily diet, I found tons of Asparteme!!! I cut it out...took a month or so to really notice...but the shortness of breath is gone!!! I've heard that Stivia is okay to use, but haven't tried it.  Took me 20 years to figure this out.  Take a look at your diet....Hope this helps you and others.
I deginately understand your pain and fustrations. Mine all started with a panic attack leading me to the er. 2 yrs ago. Docs said I suffered from migranes (migraines) and anxiety. Funny thing is, I always thought of migranes (migraines) as being very painful headaches....But mine felt like a pulsating band around my head which caused me to almost pass out several times.
I also found out that I was suffering from depression.

About a year later, I started having trouble breathing as soon as I fell asleep or wake up bc I felt like I stopped breathing. While awake, I'd have trouble yawning, taking deep breaths, sharp pains/ spasm(only last 1sec & occurs randomly) or burning in my checst or left breast, slight pressure in chest from neck to above breast, constant burping, cant get that full yawn, sharp pain/ spasms through out my arm, shoulder, & jaw. This is in no way normal. I had been to the er sooo many times because I thought I was having a stroke, heart attack, or something terrible with my lungs. The docs did ekgs everytime and blood work which all came back normal... And diagnosed me with GERD, anxiety, &  lacking vitamin D. Even MRIs on my chest and head came back normal. I hate going to my regular doc cause everytime I bring up my issues, she refers me to a psychiatrist!!! She really thinks Im crazy.

The last time that I ignored my bodies warning signs(when I knew something was def wrong) and listend to a doctor instead when they said my symptoms were normal, I ended up having a miscarraige (miscarriage) at 6month preg. So I no longer put all of my trust into docs. If you cant get answers from your doc and theyre treating you like a crazy person without showing proof of whats going on or actually showing enough concern to run test and rule out dyer issues......then you should def seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion or make them run test....afterall, you are paying for it.
I've suffered with this on and off for about 20 years.  Went through lung fnction test and dr assured me it was stress.  Didn't believe him until I was in a supermarket with my three toddlers and had a basket full of food and my credit card didnt' work.  I couldnt breath!  I finally believed.  Since then, whenever it comes on, knowing it is stress helps me get over it.  I often do deep breathing and I think I now naturally breath way more deeply as a normal breath.  I just had a chest xray and the tech commented on my long lungs.  She had to take two pics from the back to get my lungs in.  I'm wondering if 20 years of 'over breathing' has stretched out my lungs.  I'm 5'7" 110lbs so not a big person.  I also saw normal breaths per minute is 12 - 18.  When I count, I'm at 9-10.  At resting.   I'm now worried about copd since I smoked for 9 years, quitting in 1988.  Anyone else have their lungs stretched out from all this frequent overbreathing?
Hi Hava, I have read your comments on this issue of breathing techniques and I just wanted to ask about the technique. You say to breath out once per second through your nose, was that correct or a typo error.? Are you saying to push short continuous breaths out through your nose for the 20 minutes or so? Or should it be slowly puching the air out lasting a few seconds each time. I have been having this problem for about a month. I am not an anxious person and really dont have any concerns as such but I di have a virus a few weeks back which I noticed caused me to be tight chested, feverish, lost my voice all in the first week. 3 days in to wk 2 I felt improved and went to town but by the time I returned I again was gasping for air, feeling like my sternum had been punched relentlessly and like my ribs were so tight, compressing my lungs. I am unable to wear a bra at the moment due to the discomfort and increased breathlesness. My GP thought I had pluritic chest so had me checked out at A&E, thankfully nothing showed up in tests and xray, but consultant did say that it was possibly muscular skeletol issues, being in spasm and pushing on my lungs and sternum. Since then I have not improved. Can only walk a few steps before gasping and having to stop to sit down. I wake up in a morning and I take a really easy, much needed deep breath with ease but as soon as I sit up it's like a massive weight on my chest and the whole process starts for another day. I'm exhausted. I have severe mobility issues so can't take my mind off things by going for a run or walk. Please can you clarify what the excercise entails. Many thanks.
I am a 28 yo female and just recently (for about the last year), have been experiencing shortness of breath intermittently, but almost every day. I am a nurse, so naturally, my mind runs wild with all sorts of things it could possibly be. I also, feel like yawning seems to help sometimes (it allows me to get the full deep breath that I need). Unfortunately I suffer from generalized anxiety and panic disorder, so I guess it could be related. It is just such an uncomfortable feeling, and when I experience the shortness of breath that I'm talking about, I tend to think about it more and then of course, it gets progressively worse. I use Klonopin as needed for anxiety, and usually it does help significantly with the SOB as well. So I guess it's hard to say if it is stress/anxiety induced. All of my labs have always been perfect. I'm glad to have stumbled across this site thogh. It's helpful to know that I am not the only one to experience these unpleasant symptoms. Thanks all.
I put a bookmark on this forum because I've had the yawning and not being able to catch my breath for a long time.
I have settled on my explanation.  I had to work intermittently in a factory that produced asbestos items.  They were shut down.  The dust was thick in the air.  For many years I had the problem but felt that no one really believed my symptoms.  Lately I had doctor who didn't know about the asbestos told me he could see a previous exposure to asbestos in my lungs.  I see no cure for me but note that in this world of sleeze and misrepresentation the lawyers are making a killing off of mesothelioma, but there is no provision for those who have been affected to a lesser degree for a very long time.  I'm up in years and see no relief for me but must mention the asbestos thing so search your memory and think if you could have been exposed.  It will show in more sophisticated imaging.
Too many doctors will only prescribe an inhaler.
Go get your iron checked! I had this problem for 3 flippin years and it turned out I was iron deficient. If you Google the relationship between anxiety and iron deficiency you will find it. I was healed after 2 weeks on iron supplements! I can finally breathe hallelujah!! NO doctors figured this out for me. I figured it out on my own. I swear doctors are worthless sometimes.

But, don't just start taking iron. Get your levels checked first. You could jack yourself up if you take iron when you don't need it.

God Bless!
The same thing was happening to me also and i over come with it. but, i would like to say that its not a diesease or anything, it is something which use to happen due to our unexpected body moves/untimely exercise, and i know the cure also..

Thanks,
Rajni
WE ALL KNOW OUR BODIES BEST DON'T WE?
I totally agree! Please read ALL as I have *Honest to God* read EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS! Just searching for similarities,  answers AND RESOLUTION as I also JUST WANT TO BREATH!
I am 47yr old white female, 3 children, 29, 26 & 22.
Dogs, cats, no known allergies & not a panicky person.
Constant stressers & actually work best under duress as I do event planning & was single mother till '03.
That all said:
120lbs, 5', below 'average' low blood pressure all my life, do not smoke anything,  occasionally drink, fairly healthy diet, typical housewife activity- occasional grandchild in the house & run after my Yorkies now & again, only medical conditions NOT contributing to below is MVP (mital valve prolapse- a heart valve issue that I take 5mg of Bystolic for- 5yrs now) & also SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder I'll take 3mg Buspar for (Its an anxiety med that you take AS NEEDED but taking more for below DOES NOTHING to lessen symptoms fyi) and I've taken Buspar on & off since my oldest son went to college in '02)

*** SOB - Just two weeks in to (trying to) yawning to get full breath & HEAVY *sighing*. No true chest tightening although worry & concern definitely causes anxiety. TRUE CONNECTION between having ate & episode of yawning till DEEP yawn/breath relieves feeling of suffocation. Realized was more than likely oxygen deficiency on my own but didn't account for CO2 / Oxygen balance. Breathing thru nose; breath in, totally exhale, hold as long as you can, breath in, totally exhale, hold as long as you can & CONTINUE until you aren't focusing on it relieves yawning... Sighing remains & started breathing when I noticed. If light-headed/dizzy feeling occurs,  stop & start again a few minutes later. Yes it keeps me awake, yes I wake up with it happening but I think I breath fine while sleeping but when/if I wake up, I bring it on because its never far from my mind now. The longer/more I do the breathing exercises I described or the Hava in the post throughout described the LESS I YAWN and in time TRULY believe my CO2/Oxygen balance is working towards resetting. Seems to be common sense medically. The Chronic Hyperventilating Syndrome would be its medical diagnosis; most of us can understand the anxiety diagnosis but my belief is that the CHS LEADS to our anxiety BECAUSE WE CAN'T get a breath of air. Heading to a doctor and simply having your CO2/Oxygen checked regularly if possible to get SEE AND INFORMING THEM OF YOUR DIRE SEARCH FOR ANSWERS AND YOUR FINDINGS may work... if yr doctor is arrogant & prideful & thinks he is God and you SURELY can not 'self-diagnose' then calmly say, "I'm not over-thinking or reaching,  I CAN NOT BREATH RIGHT, and I've researched it for weeks, lost work hours, missed family commitments & invested time more than this 10 minutes with you sir/ma'm & I believe my symptoms are not allergies, asthma, anxiety and in the post I've found which is 6yrs long of 98% similar descriptions encompasses every other search & diagnosis after a total waste of time & resources doing extensive medical testing, even holistic remedies of which ALL seem not to 100% fix or cure. Chronic Hyperventilating Syndrome sounds TOO SIMPLE to be IT but ALL OF US HAVE SAME/98% SIMILAR SYMPTOMES!! So PLEASE doctor, before starting to rule out thousands of medical procedures & tests spending thousands of dollars, can YOU invest YOUR TIME THAT I AM PAYING FOR & can we PLEASE start here because I need your help!" I am sure ya'll can negotiate with your own doctor but if your doctor is an arrogant butt then FIND ANOTHER...even if its an urgent care & explain about yr doctor because it IS hard to get into a new doctor,  specially with insurance network guidelines and such. I go by MyMichelet on the most popular social network n also internet mail sites with google I will create a page on the social network called Chronic Hyperventilating Syndrome SOB / Yawning today so look for it. START YOUR BREATHING TREATMENTS ASAP and RESIST yawning by swallowing...you KNOW you CAN breath so change up HOW you have been breathing as it seems we are breathing TOO MUCH and that has offset our CO2/Oxygen balance!!! It DOES seem TOO SIMPLE but unfortunately it is NOT simple to fix,  it will take TIME, CONSISTENCY & BEING DILIGENT to even out the imbalance...the time it takes seems longer based on how long you have experienced the symptoms...DO NOT BE ALARMED if you have dealt with this for a long time and now actually DO have anxiety issues. Believe! Mind over matter and allow one to elevate the other!!! This takes TIME! DEDICATE YOURSELF TO THE TIME IT TAKES!
Respectfully yawning & gasping with you,
MyMichelet
Professionally undiagnosed sufferer of Chronic Hyperventilating Syndrome :)
I will comment to myself the posts I've come across where a specific diagnosis was found & the posters info & date as I find most relative as this thread is SO LONG & I screenshot about a dozen pertinent posts. ..
therockhound
Nov 15, 2011
To: worked for me
I was having the same SOB, chest pain, fatigue...generally just a feeling of not being able to get a breath in.  I had a PFT test (came back fine), went to an allergy doctor who ruled out asthma (because I was not having problems exhaling, I was only having problems on inhalation and my lungs were clear as a bell/no cough).  My simple answer was GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), heartburn.  The ironic part was I didn't get any "burn".  So, simply put I had heartburn, with NO burn.  I would get the other symptoms (chest pain, difficulty swallowing and shortness of breath).  I was put on dexilant which worked awesome, but my insurance company will not pay for it anymore due to the expense.  I had to switch to Protonix which seems to be working just as good..  My doctor told me the OTC heart burn meds were not strong enough to take care of this and a stronger Rx was required.  After just 5 days on this medicine, I'm as good as gold. NO symptoms left :)  Might be worth checking into for some people, I would of never thought in a million years I had heartburn...but like I said ALL my symptoms are now gone
i would like to hear more about the recommended breathing that i have heard so much about. I cannot find your earlier post.I have been experiencing the yawning and shortness of breath for over a year now. I have had multiple tests done ranging from stress tests and having actual pictures of my heart to CT scans. Nobody has a clue. It was also recommended to start taking antidepressants . I refuse to do that as this happens periodically and most often when i have too much time on my hands.
Thanks in advance Hava.
I want to post that not only did I stop the Bystolic (heart meds) for one week, but also have not taken any Buspar (anxiety) for 2 days and laying in bed just realized I haven't thought of this issue ALL DAY... came across this page to write I traveled to eat Texas to get my 18 mth old grandson yesterday,  drove back Houston area last night and just NOW had a breathing 'issue) while writing this!!! And yawning for goodness sakes!  Mind over matter my friends!  Keep breathing they yr noses and involve yourself in something you do not normally do to obsess over... I am grateful for the day I didn't realize I want gasping even if tomorrow is all returned, I have hope!  Prayers to you all!  Also created FB page,  come on over!
Viewing 201-228 comments: