Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
shortness of breath relieves when laying down????

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I think it was"babymonkey" who first posted the symptom of shortness of breath that was relieved when laying down.......I would like to hear if a cure was found or has someone else fiqured this out? I am at my best when laying on my back or side.
The rest of the time I have trouble taking a full breath constantly!!!! Also feel tight muscles in chest and diaphragm....please advise....
Aside from relief when lying down, your problem is not similar to "babymonkey".  There is a condition in which breathing is chronically better when lying down called platypnia, but that is rare.  The real question for you is why do you "have trouble breathing, constantly".  That, rather than why you have relief from lying down on, either supine or on your side.  You should see a pulmonary specialist to try to diagnose your "trouble breathing, constantly".  
Hi I have been experiencing hell for the last few years due to shortness of breath. It feels like I have too much pressure (bloating) under my diaphram especially after I eat  or drink. I can't burp and when I try I usually get acid up the esophogus instead mostly because I have acid reflux I know. It feels much better when i lay down or when I'm driving in the car but I'm 24 and I can't lay down all day long. I've tried gas pills, ginger tea ect. no help. I had a Nissun surgery for my acid reflux almost two years ago. At first my esophagus opening was so tight that I couldn't burp at all of course but about 11 months later I noticed I could muster up some real deep from the stomach burps and my breathing was perfect again. I didn't even think about it any longer:) Now it feels as if the esophagus opening is opened up too big again and when I try and burp I can't. I just get acid or nothing and the breathing is real bad again with the tight chest. pretty depressed. Any advice would be real appreciated. thanx
A related discussion, I found the cause of my shortness of breath! was started.