shortness of breath
I had abdominoplasty 7 years ago with no serious side effects.  However I have noticed that i short of breath even now, and it seems to get worse. Used to sing as a hobby but now get short of breath after speaking a long sentence or if I do not specifically take precautions to speak softly.  Even as a kid, could never hold my breath for too long, because I would be the first to come out to the surface while playing hold the breath game.  Was anemic for a while but iron therapy corrected it. No cardiac problems. Did not do well on pulmonary test (blow test) but doctor said that was probably because I may not have done it correctly.  Underwent hysterectomy 6 weeks ago and did very well.  No change in shortness of breath before or after that surgery however. I am 53.  Is this something I need to be concerned about. Pulmonologist says only high impact aerobic exercise would help some and not breathing exercises.  Any thoughts?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Shortness of breath or inability to take a breath is medically called dyspnea. The problem can be either in heart or lung or due to anemia. Over exercising can also be a cause for breathlessness. At times due to too empty stomach or drinking lots of water before exercising can also cause breathlessness.  Angina, heart attack and pulmonary embolism should be ruled out first. If there is wheezing, asthma is likely. If there is cough, chronic obstructive disease or asbestos, silica etc pollution as the cause is likely. Other causes are mitral valve problems, pulmonary hypertension, anemia, hyperventilation syndrome or psychological factors. A detailed and comprehensive investigation will be required including EKG, Chest X-ray, blood test for anemia, maybe CT scan of chest, BP recording etc.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined accordingly. Take care!