Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
shortness of breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

shortness of breath

Hello, I am a 53 yr. old male, over weight (232 lbs. @ 5'5") About a week ago, I started getting short of breath, like I have to catch my breath, especially while sitting down.  Three days after I noticed it, I had a visity with my Dr., and wouldn't you know it, the problem didn't bother me at all, so I thought it went away...it came back the next day. I'm not exerting myself in any way to trigger it.  I have been diagnosed with gerd, and use generic prilosec otc, 20mg., 2 x's a day.  I do notice that when I am lying down, the symptoms are almost non existant.  Some other things I've noticed at the onset of these conditions, I seem to be hungry more often, yawn a lot.  The more active, mainly standing, walking, or just moving around, it doesn't seem to bother me as much.  
At first I was thinking it was an anxiety attack, so I'd take .25 mg. of xanax, seem to calm me down and I wouldn't notice the symptoms as much.
I'd go to the dr., but my wife thinks I'm a hypocondriac, and get mad everytime I go, and a dr. wants to order a test, xray or scan, thus costing us $$. Even though we have insurance, it don't cover like it used to.  
Am I a ticking bomb???
Sincerely,
Dan O
Shortness of breath can be a symptom of serious heart or lung disease but, especially when accompanied by yawning and is lessened by “”increased physical activity, standing, walking or just moving around” it is highly likely to be a reflection of anxiety.  You didn’t mention what your doctor thought or recommended but, because of the possibility these symptoms are more secondary to physical disease, it would be wise to follow your doctor’s advice.

If you are subject to hypochondriosis associated with anxiety, without or without panic disorder, it would be good to know that, as it is a treatable condition.

Sounds like your symptoms have become a source of strife between you and your wife and it would be wise to “clear the air” on your health status, in the interest of marital harmony.

Good luck
For starters I'd say your weight isn't "helping".. but I suppose that is not at new condition.  Regular exercise is also important to maintain a good cardiovascular system.  The shortness of breath problem is often related to the heart and lungs. Thy yawning can be a symptom of low oxygen, need for oxygen in the blood.  Seems strange that the condition become less when you are moving about, walking, if I read correctly.

Take your blood pressure next time you're at a pharmacy (even Walmart and many supermarkets).  Check you heart rate too and see if anything there is amiss.  

My experience with health insurance, even now that I am on Medicare with a secondary private insurance, the deductible keeps going up. So the good news is while one may have to pay the doctor bill, the fact they haven't yet hit their deductible means they've been relatively healthy.

Being it is the end of the year, check your deductible and where you stand.  If you are near the deductible limit you may get some help from the insurance company on any medical expenses before the end of the year, when the deductible you've paid resets to zero.

Good luck.