Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
shortness of breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

shortness of breath

i am having trouble breathing i cant catch my breath . i have to yawn to catch that one good breath and when i do catch it 30 seconds later i have to struggle again . i had asthma when i was young i am 32 now i am not wheezing or or congested. i just cant catch a good deep breath . i've been doing this every year now for the past 3 years. it starts the begining of summer and lasts until the end of fall this year its allready started cause its so hot it is very hard to sleep i have to keep sitting up and yawning to catch my breath. after a while my chest starts to hurt cause i am struggling so hard to catch my breath i have been to the doctor but he keeps giving me (albuteral) its not working can you please help with some advice. thank you
Once you have asthma, you always have asthma.  It is possible to go through a period of time without symptoms, but it is also possible that the symptoms may return at any point in time.  Not everyone with asthma wheezes.  Some people have chest tightness, shortness of breath, or coughing.  With asthma there is swelling along with tightness in the airways of the lungs.  Albuterol works on the tightness, but does nothing for the swelling.  You may need an inhaled anti-inflammatory medicine that will work on the swelling before you will start to feel better.
thank you very much i will tell my doctor right away
You may also want to ask your regular doctor, and your asthma doctor to refer you to an ENT (ear nose & throat doctor), to see if you might have any vocal cord problems, like VCD (Vocal Cord Dysfunction), in addition to asthma, etc.

Concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
thank you i never thought of that i will let my doctor know and have the test done
I have had that same problem for years now..it is off and on.
I have found that stress is related. I have actually had to sit up and lean forward, ect; the same way.  Try doing some breathing exercizes..put your hand on your stomach and breathe slowly thru your nose until full breath..then exhale through your mouth slowly.. (your will get optimal breahting this way) .
After a few of these, you will get a good deep refreshing breath.
I have also found that cutting sugar helps too..
Good luck, Deb Lyn
thank you deb lyn . you know i do that when i get the hiccups and they go right away. i just breath through my nose and concentrate and it never fails there gone within 20-30 seconds. i will give it a shot thank you

What did you discover about your problem.  I'm in the same boat!!  

You can email me at ***@**** if you want.  I'd love to find out more.

Thanks!

Kelly

Thanks!

Kelly

Thanks!

Kelly