Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
side stiches

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

side stiches
I get horrible side stiches while resting, just the other night I walked into my room and fell to the ground in pain and it lasted for atleast 10 minutes, and this happens frequently. What can cause that?
Your “side stitches” could be secondary to an injury to one of the structures of the chest wall:  rib, cartilage, intercostal nerve entrapment and/or inflammation (“pinched nerve”), muscle spasm or a metabolic disorder of some type, especially if you are taking medication that could result in electrolyte  imbalance.  A careful physical exam might provide clues as to the cause but comprehensive blood testing might also be helpful.

What you describe is not usually a sign of serious disease.

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker