Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
sinus infection that won't go away

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

sinus infection that won't go away

I am a 32 year old female, normally healthy, exercise regularly and maintain a well balanced diet.  Last year I was sick with sinus infections for over 5 months (October to March) that would start in the nose, move to the chest and I would be stuck in bed with a fever for 10 days.  I would then be well for two weeks, then sick  with the same thing again - this happened over and over for a period of 5 months.  I went to three doctors and was told that it was a sinus infection, stay in bed, drink liquids etc.  I had blood tests taken, a test for strep (negative), and even took anti biotics, which did very little.

Finally last March 2001, the cycle stopped.  I thought it may have been my apartment (mold or something) causing the problem.  I am in a new apartment now, but the cycle just started again last month - pressure in the sinuses, heavy phlemy coughs, and fever for over a week.  Then I am well for a week or two and it comes back again.  I can't afford to miss this much work.  Please tell me - what is making me sick?  Could this be something other than a sinus infection?  I have no allergies that I am aware of.  And most importantly, why does it take so long for me to recover?
The best possible answer regarding your sinuses is to get a sinus CT scan.  This will tell you immediately whether your sinuses are the cause for these symptoms.  If the CT is positive, then you have medical options and possibly a surgical option, as well.  If the CT does not indicate an infection or obstruction, then possible causes are allergic and non-allergic rhinitis.  Allergy testing can differentiate this.  Because of the repetitive nature of this, I would recommend evaluating the sinuses first.
1 Comment
A related discussion, sinus infection was started.