Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
sinus pain due to pollution

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

sinus pain due to pollution

I've lived in Belgium for 2.5 years now, and seem to be allergic to diesel fumes (most cars here are diesel, and my mom says she is allergic). I get horrid pain in my sinuses when I visit Brussels. (I live in a tiny village about 25 miles from Brussels). I try to avoid Brussels as much as possible, but the only job I have been able to find is in an outer suburb.
I'm currently barely allergic to dust mites & alternaria-I've been taking shots for years for those.
Until recently I took Xyzall (Zyrtec, I believe?). I stopped taking that, as it only had no effect on my sinus pain.
My sinus headaches are in the upper part of my nose/lower forehead and behind my eyes. My cheeks are also sensitive when the doctor puts pressure on the right spots.  The only thing that seems to help my pain is Nasonex nose spray. But I need to take that consistently 2-3x per day (I usually forget on weekends-when I don't work). My last CT of my sinuses was about 1 year ago and it was normal.
My allergist and GP recommend ibuprofen for the pain, but I need to take at least 400mg for it to begin to have any effect. I can't take acetominophin; naproxen sodium also doesn't help. I also have problems with sleepiness when my sinuses bother me. I have seen somewhere about cronic (chronic) fatigue being related to sinus pain?
Any recommendations you can give me (to discuss with my allergist!) for my pain & sleepiness would be greatly appreciated, as my allergist here doesn't seem to understand how one can be allergic to diesel! (moving is not currently an option). I prefer natural to drugs as i'm also depressed.
It is highly unlikely that you are allergic to the fumes of the diesel fuel.  However, it is very likely that you are having this reaction from an irritant reaction to an inflamed sinus.  This is why you have the pain when someone touches the area.  Getting the inflammation under control would be a good first step.  The inhaled nasal steroids are one way.  A short course of oral steroids might be another.

As far as the fatigue, it is not uncommon for someone to feel fatigued when they are experiencing inflammation.  This could be in the sinuses or anywhere else.  Getting the sinus problem under control should alleviate this, as well.
ps:
aspirin doesn't help too much either. caffeine helps a bit, but i've got fibroid cysts that are bothered by caffeine.