Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
sinus/strept throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

sinus/strept throat

I was diagnosed with strept throat a couple of days ago. I was put on antibiotics,(biaxin), I am also very, very congested in my sinus' and what I have noticed is when I blow my nose, there is a lot of blood in the mucus, the mucus is thick with a greenish/yellowish colour to it. Does that mean I have a sinus infection also? Also, will the medicine I am taking for the strept throat work on the sinus' also?
There are many varieties of the streptococcus bacterium.  One of these, the Group A strep (strep pyogenes) is the most common cause of strep throat.  It can also cause infection of other parts of the respiratory tract including the ear, nose and sinuses so the answer to your question is yes.   It is reasonable to assume that the strep bacterium that has caused the sore throat is also responsible for the sinus infection and the greenish/yellowish drainage.

A caution.  If that is the case, both throat and sinuses should promptly respond to the Biaxin therapy, but only if taken faithfully daily, in the dose prescribed for the full ten days of recommended therapy.  If there is not a rapid response to antibiotic therapy, despite strict adherence to taking the antibiotic, the greenish/yellowish drainage should be cultured in your doctor’s office and consideration given by him/her to switching to another antibiotic.

The colored mucous suggests that you are having adequate drainage from your nose and sinuses but if that drainage should cease with signs of worsening (fever, chills, facial pain over the sinuses etc.) that would be a sign of inadequate drainage and discussed with your doctor immediately.  In that same regard, you may want to ask your doctor if the use of a decongestant might facilitate drainage.

Good luck