sleep study 2nd stage 5% 3,4 stage 0% what to do
My husband has a sleep problem. He had a sleep study done they said that he wakes up an over excessive amount of time. Stage 2 sleep is only 5% of the time. Stage 3,4 is  0% of the time. The weird thing is he doesn't have sleep Apnea. Although his oxygen levels drops in the mid 80's. The only explanation is because of a traumatic brain injury. I don't understand though he had his TBI in 2004, sleep study done in 2006 was normal, a year later 2007 now it is abnormal. Does this make sense to anybody.  In Feb. the found a pulmonary nodule in his left lung plus scarring and thickening. 6 months later now they found another nodule, but this time it is also in the right lung. What could be causing this. I would sure appreciate some advice on what to do. Thank you Lisa
Lisa, I doubt that the lung nodules are related.  When I was on Amiodarone (heart drug), I used to wake up about every 15 minutes all night long.  I was a zombie!  I found out that the drug caused silent reflux (no other symptoms) and it was the reflux waking me up.  I was put on Protonix and the waking up stopped immediately!  During this period I did have a sleep study which showed nothing, although since I hardly slept it was invalid as far as I was concerned!  It might be worth a trial run of that class of drug, including Prilosec, Protonix, etc.

Another thought is thyroid dysfunction.  HyPERthyroidism can cause frequent awakenings also.  This happened to me also!  See if they have checked a TSH level recently.  Hope this helps!